Yaourt is Dead!

Here’s what It’s FOSS says:

-> It’s FOSS

-> Discontinued or problematic

Other details here -> A new testing repo + iso (by natemaia)

Yeah I saw that, I don’t know man… I love using Arch but it’s lack of continuity is really starting to wear thin.

The wide variety of options is changing!
Even Trizen is blacklisted. :thinking:

Change is a good thing but a little continuity is nice too.

Nah its typical It’s Foss over the top reporting.

Yaourt isn’t dead at all.

P.S. Nate and I are doing away with Yaourt in the next release, Aurman has replaced. Highly recommend checking it out.

Wonder why they write stuff like that if yaourt s not dead or supported.

Clickbait. What they mean is that Yaourt is on the way out. Not “dead” as in no longer available per se.

From what I gather, yaourt is not really being supported and can be considered potentially unsafe to use. I’m trying to find the posts I read earlier for context, but no luck. Will post when I find them.

I’m honestly glad that ArchLabs is using aurman in place of yaourt in the testing .iso. aurman ticks all of the right boxes on AUR Helpers Arch Wiki page Active table. It baffles me that anyone considers using anything else for AUR packages.

Hahaha… These guys from It’s FOSS just want notoriety!
It’s always like that!.

@m.rogers

lol,must be that.

aurman is the best helper I’ve tried. Syntax like pacman. It’s a lot like pacaur was.

@cog I like aurman a fair bit as well

Re: yaourt

I think it has been this way for some time, when reading into what about yaourt is ‘unsupported’ it’s all very minor (IMO), like how/where the package is built, what type of escalation it needs, whether it exports variables to the environment, does it warn about PKGBUILD changes, etc…

Simply put

I honestly second this, most people don’t need very many packages from the AUR anyhow, so having to learn a bit and build 1-10 packages manually isn’t a big deal.

I think people would lose their shit if I started expecting this^ and AUR support was removed from AL. Would’ve been done already if not.

In this regard aurman seems like a decent compromise.

Cheers

In the meantime, itsFoss is reporting that area 51 has moved to New Zealand next to @Dobbie03 house…:joy:

Yeah wow! News to me, cool news though.

I get confused by AUR managers :confused:

I find it much simpler to upload the PKGBUILD and source files to the openSUSE Build Service and let them build and host the packages for me — it even supports split packages.

And I can also share those packages with the community, as can be seen in my signature :slight_smile:

Now I’m the confused one! Why not just build it locally on your pc?

I am confuzzled!

:smiley:

I have more than one Arch system so they get shared around, split packages are handled gracefully and, most importantly, have you ever tried manually building an AUR package with a long dependency chain which includes many other packages from the AUR?

With the OBS it’s just a case of uploading the files and updates through the dependency chain are handled automatically.

Got ya, now that makes sense!!

I don’t mind figuring out things, but in some things, the simpler the better. I use pamac a lot because it takes care of the dependency chain for me. Some are quite extensive, especially when the dependency has dependencies as well.

ok, having had my knuckles rapped for opening a new thread on this, sorry for coming back to an old one. What isn’t clear to me is why pacli was abandoned, it was one of the selling points of ArchLabs in my opinion. Was it simply because yaourt was deprecated so another building system would have to be crowbarred into pacli (is that so hard?), or is the problem with the AUR database itself? Looks to me like we’re moving to a BSD like ports system where we compile applications we need. I see there are useful aliases in the shell rc file (why have we got zshell as default rather than the linux standard bash, by the way?) which duplicate some of the useful pacli functions, which helps.

Seems AL is changing rather too quickly in some respects, difficult to take users with you if you go too far too fast.