Xterm invoked in xinitrc

@natemaia and others:

I am not sure this is anything wrong, but thought it was a little odd so mentioning. I was looking at /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. It has lines towards the end that invoke xterm.

Now I looked at my /var/log/pacman.log and to what I can tell, xterm was never in my AL distro.

OK, and I think this may have something to do w/ lightdm acting all weird under some circumstances that I encountered during testing various things (not yaxwm in particular, just a few things here and there).

Again, if this is a red herring, pl. ignore, but thought to mention here in case it is genuinely a bug that comes into play sometimes (I think lightdm reads that file in some logical paths).

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is only invoked by startx if there is no user config in ~/.xinitrc and it runs a bunch of old irrelevant software like twm so there’s no need to worry.

If any display manager is reading the xinitrc (I doubt they are) then it’s a problem and the maintainer should be notified, they should only source ~/.xprofile.

xterm is only installed if you don’t have another terminal selected, in the end it’s arch like and you can just drop into a tty and install whatever terminal you want.

1 Like

Hmm… I suspect lightdm is reading it when some other things are missing, will test further, not sure about this by a long stretch … Also, those strange behaviors of LDM were not displayed by GDM (I tested swapping out and redoing exactly same things, and GDM was just fine).

I don’t care for xterm much, as the suckless url says it has too much crud code. Am happy w/ st, xfce4-terminal, and tilix. Removed all others recently.

Go Charlie Hebdo!

The README quoted on the suckless site is from 1991, things have improved since then. The current version is here.

The OpenBSD developers have included xterm in their base system as the default terminal and so audit the codebase regularly. This is not something that can be claimed for any other terminal emulator.

No, it doesn’t. Read /etc/lightdm/Xsession — that lists all of the files read by LightDM on startup.

2 Likes

Hmm. Thanks for that Mr. HoaS, and the link. Have hearted. Will try out the newest xterm. Am always looking for good terminals since nearly all my time is on one.

“Islam is not the name of a religion, but of a mental disorder”