Xorg and updating

i have Archlabs running fine and normally i update every day but if xorg has an update it can cause the system to not boot until the next upgrade, and then it’s a bit hit-and-miss whether it will work again, which part xorg affects video and will it cause problems if exclude it from the update

I would exclude it from updates for a while till one knows if it s safe to upgrade…

Thanks the problem last time is as in the picture but IM not sure which x server caused the problem 70beb92c98115155aef3bf74c8566c38bb0a4eb3_2_690x331

Did you check that log file referenced in the message?

What’s the video card/driver?

1 Like

That’s an old screenshot, i was just trying to get ahead of the problem in case it breaks at the next xorg update it seems to be every other xorg update breaks last time i had to wait 4months until the xorg update fixed the problem again
Video card is an onboard Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter
i think this is the video driver section in the var/log/xorg

Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     6.063] 	compiled for 1.20.13, module version = 1.1.0
[     6.063] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.1
[     6.063] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
[     6.063] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
[     6.063] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
[     6.065] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     6.065] 	compiled for 1.20.13, module version = 1.0.0
[     6.065] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.1
[     6.065] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[     6.072] (II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 262144 kB
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: SiS
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: 6330
[     6.074] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 3.72.14A
[     6.089] (II) VESA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section

hope this is the right info thanks for the help

???

How old is that mobo?

I’ve had it from new, it ran vista so its about 14 years old i think, but it runs Archlabs bspwm fine and i can run wm in fedora and debian for best performance, but performance is better on Archlabs, I can’t play games but office stuff internet browsing and i can stream video fine

1 Like

Yeah I used to have machines that ran Windows with that as the onboard graphics, it kind of gave me some flashbacks finding the drivers and updates lulz.

I don’t have a solution for you unfortunately.

Maybe time for a slightly newer laptop!!! But that’s only if the next xorg update breaks it again, i hate throwing out things that still work
Thanks for all the help guys, i will call this solved and just see how things go i have a spare drive i will load archlabs on it and next time an xorg update comes i will try it on the other drive first

2 Likes

I’m with you on that one.

Edit: I saw SiS on some old Dell lappy’s and desktops I acquired back in the day. Used Linux on them back then until they died or was cannibalized.

my main pc is a dell optiplex 790 and i now thats not very new about 2011 and that runs great as well, a 5euro buy from facebook the bios battery was flat so i put a new one in and problem solved

3 Likes

You can try what @altman suggested and put a hold on upgrading Xorg. Not like that card is going to require bleeding edge graphics.

3 Likes

That’s what i thought of doing, but I am not sure which part of xorg causes the problem
but after some reading i found this to add to the pacman.conf is this the right way to stop xorg video drivers updating

IgnoreGroup = xorg xorg-video-drivers xorg-input-drivers
IgnorePkg = package1 package2 package3