Xmonad install/configuration method

Hi! I am trying to install and configure xmonad and started from arch-wiki. Then I read on the xmonad site that the “arch-method” is not recommended so I switched to installing from git and using xmonad guides. Very good guides but I am getting muliple config errors even though I follow the guide to the point.

Which method do you guys use to install and configure and to have xmobar communicate nice with xmonad?

womp

I installed the packages from arch repos. They’re compiled with full module support. So far, it’s been working fine.

Configurations, I followed archwiki xmonad - ArchWiki and xmonad document page Documentation | xmonad - the tiling window manager that rocks.

One thing is tricky in xmonad config. You CAN NOT use tab as indent, gotta use space. Otherwise, ghc will not compile it.

Great to know!! Thanks!
I will soon start over!

womp

2 Likes

Hi again!

Started over and I have now tried to do the installation/configuration from Install XMonad | xmonad - the tiling window manager that rocks -window-manager and XMonad Configuration Tutorial | xmonad - the tiling window manager that rocks

I really want to learn but haskell syntax is at this point too complicated for me.
(Lightdm did not pick up xmonad installing this way but I managed to fix that at least!)

I get errors every time I boot xmonad! No matter what I edit or erease!

main :: IO ()
main = xmonad $ ewmhFullscreen $ ewmh $ myConfig

{modMask = mod4Mask 
,layoutHook = myLayout
    }

Why does this give errors? I have followed the tutorial ( 3 times). If I erase the “modMask” part
I get errors for “layoutHook” instead. Is it some syntax-error?

(maybe I have to go back to python and lua to get rid of the “seasickness”?)

womp

Use whatever you feel comfortable with. Not worth spending days of your life on a Window Manager.

No that is true!
I will let it rest for a while!
Still much to do in dk.
womp

I hear you there. I installed Xmonad since I hadn’t used it in a while. Borked it after about 2 hours and remembered why I switched to i3 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

A Window Manager is a wm anyway. There’re plenty of them to choose fom.

2 Likes

Guess that @womp s very passionate about VMs !

1 Like

@altman @PackRat @chroot

Well I could not help myself and I tried again. Used a completely different approach. Used arch-packages this time and instead of writing my own xmonad.hs from scratch I used one from xmonad-config-archive.
When I was ready with my “first draft” (xmonad with xmobar) I got more errors than before (xmonad could not pick up a single import!) but this time I could at least find others with similar problems. A lot of them! According to answers itś an arch problem!? The recommendation is to install with cabal. Maybe I will try that tomorrow. At this point I do not see myself using xmonad long-term but I really want it to work.

Yes I absolutely like wm:s!! It has totally changed how I use computers now! I have looked at awesome and i3 for years but thought I could not manage.

Thanks guys for interest and support!!

Dk is my favorite now!

womp

1 Like

That’s obviously not true. :grinning:

1 Like

Well, according to many “archers” haskell is a total mess. It must be something wrong when there are so many having the same problem not picking up a single import. My last option is to use cabal to install xmonad and maybe I will try that later on today. I find it strange that xmonad is that popular when there are so many problems with it!? It must be very very good (when it works).

womp

update:
Can not install with either stack or cabal. Everything gets rejected. I am pretty sure it has to with my previous attempts. I will try to do this on another computer.

womp

LOL, forget it. This language is a bit strange indeed. GHC produces 1TB virt address space for both xmonad and xmobar did surprise me.

I managed to install xmonad on another computer. With arch-packages. Good to know itś possible.

womp

1 Like

Glad it finally worked out @womp

1 Like

I never understood xmonad — a “minimal” window manager that pulls in a gigabyte of Haskell dependencies :confused:

@womp: if you post the actual errors it may improve your chances of meaningful assistance. But probably not from me :grin:

1 Like

Did you also install the xmonad-contrib package? That package contains the modules, if something isn’t loading, it is often because that package isn’t installed.

Also, be aware that the Arch package is listed as 0.15-156 but Xmonad current release is 0.17.. You’ll have to be aware of that if you’re using somebody else’s xmonad.hs as a template. It’s not always backwards compatible.

If you download the xmonad source from git, navigate to the “xmonad/man” directory and you will find a complete xmonad.hs file that is well commented. I believe that file will work with version 0.15; if nothing else, it’s a nice template to see how you set everything up (except no bar).

@Head_on_a_Stick : Well after all this trouble I am not impressed! Configuration should give error because of a bad/newbie configurator not the wm/libraries.

@altman @PackRat : Yes I became aware of the different releases after my 2nd attempt but I was not aware of this template. That could be someting for me!! Thanks alot.

womp