X86 iso download

Hey there, I’ve been wanting to get into Arch for a while for the security and my friend has been recommending me this distro for quite a while now.

But I have a small problem with switching to it from Xubuntu 16.04, and that’s that I have 3 x86 PCs I use normally for various purposes, aside from 2 x64 PCs I primarily use.

I know Arch dropped x86 support a while back, but that doesn’t mean my 3 machines magically become x64 unless the latest ISO is capable of supporting them.

As you can probably tell, (if using 5 machines normally doesn’t say enough) I do quite a lot of work and don’t really have the time to be futsing about with putting together everything about my OS like Arch requires…

Hopefully you guys have an outdated x86 iso somewhere so I can finally be rid of Ubuntu.
especially since Canonical is becoming a Microsoft partner.
(I pulled my projects off GitHub because they partnered with Microsoft)

Thanks for any help, I really need this. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Hey @Tcll, welcome.

Unfortunately we have only ever released 64bit ISOs. You could try Arch 32.

0 Likes

Hey thanks for the welcome, and quick response :slight_smile:

Is it possible that I could request a 32bit release??
(perhaps even something just quickly thrown together without much error testing)

I do have 3 other (yes 32bit) machines I’d like to set up as well (various use), but don’t have any spare PSUs
(I have about 12 working machines in total, but I can’t set them all up due to lack of parts)

I’m sure you can understand my stance on configuring Arch 32 for all of them…
Having a GUI would really speed things up if you can make that happen :slight_smile:

If that’s too much to ask for though, do you guys know of another distro like yours that supports 32bit??

0 Likes

It’s not something we plan to release or even look at unfortunately. At least if you want the ArchLabs look you can install Arch32 and put our configs over top.

I don’t know of another distro like ours that supports 32bit, check out Artix or Archbang they may do.

0 Likes

alright, I will look into these, thank you for your time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Microsoft are a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation[1] so perhaps you should look at OpenBSD instead, that’s good with old hardware and very proactive in respect of security issues.

1 Like

Void Linux still supports 32 bit iso; and you can always use the mk-live scripts to roll your own spin/blend if you want. Rolling release like Arch, but more QA/QC so some increased stability.

broadcom drivers are a pain though; they are in the nonfree repo (post install setup) so they can be a pain to set up.

2 Likes

so you’re saying it doesn’t matter?
Micro$**t is killing linux as a whole??

I’ve been doing some research, Void looks very promising in both support and usability
(I should probably note I’m an XFCE lover, and will be installing that)

I’m not much for rolling my own flavor though, I just like to install and go

I’m also not much of a terminal fan
every time I see someone recommend nano/vim, I’m always like “but Leafpad/Mousepad/Gedit are so much better” :stuck_out_tongue:
Same when it comes to directory browsing, which I’ve found Nemo to be the best explorer in both looks and functionality/featurability, though I’m not sure how well it’ll work on Arch…
But if I do need to use a terminal, gnome-terminal has always been my go-to, especially for it’s real-time scaling/wrapping.

I’ve also looked at the whole Free/Open/NetBSD thing, and from what I’m seeing, OpenBSD seems to be a bit slow where as FreeBSD seems to be the recommendation

everyone claims it’s top-notch in security, but I was told the same thing with Ubuntu and *shudders* Discord
I’m also being told the same thing with Arch, so really, I’m not sure what to choose…

but aside from security, the only other problem I have with BSD is program support, which seems to be lacking at this moment

all of my info was read though, so I have no experience with any of it

thanks for the recommendations :slight_smile:

0 Likes

No, not at all, Microsoft have made some valuable contributions to Linux development.

I just meant that if you’re so opposed to the company then perhaps Linux isn’t the best choice for you.

The developers will always favour code correctness and security over speed so that’s probably a fair observation but I have noticed that Openarena runs with about 4x the framerate under OpenBSD compared to Debian buster. But I may have misconfigured things in Debian :slight_smile:

SMP is disabled by default in OpenBSD (it can be toggled at runtime with sysctl) but not in Linux so that gives you some idea of their respective priorities. I disable SMT in my Linux systems though, the risks are too great IMO.

1 Like

ah I see, yes I am greatly opposed to them, but just because they have their grip on linux doesn’t mean I’ll immediately switch.
I’m just waiting for their scandalous behavior (E. E. E.) to make it’s way onto the platform, and I’ll be off the very moment it does.

lol yeah, let’s also not forget it also depends on the CPU and kernel version
Xubuntu 18.04 ran sooooo much worse on my machines than Xubuntu 16.04
to give you a small idea, on 16.04 (x64), I’m using around 180 to 200MB (of 2GB) of RAM at startup (120MB on x86)
on 18.04 (x64), I couldn’t get below 600MB (of 2GB) at startup, which actually made this machine I’m typing to you off of useless as a Minecraft server, as it always used swap before it finished loading.
for x86, that was around 400MB

I can’t really give an accurate performance ratio, but it felt like it was cut down by at most half on all my machines.

so yeah, I’ve moved back to 16.04 because I need that extra performance and low RAM use (I don’t have anything with more than 4GB, other than my primary where the controller limits it to 3.5/8GB)

but anyways, regarding the whole microsoft thing, I think I’ll be safe on Arch for now, as long as the devs don’t partner, otherwise, sure I’ll jump to BSD.

0 Likes