Window Manager Poll (on AL)

I thought it might be useful (and fun) to see which window managers (not fancy, high falutin desktop environments) you have tried/ use on ArchLabs.

• awesome
  • bspwm
  • cde
  • dwm
  • enlightenment
  • fluxbox
  • fvwm
  • hlwm
  • i3wm (family including sway)
  • icewm
  • jwm
  • openbox
  • pekWM
  • qtile
  • ratpoison
  • sowm
  • spectrwm
  • stumpwm
  • xmonad
  • yaxwm

0 voters

I know many are missing. Sadly, the poll thingy limits me to 20 choices…
Add you missing ‘favs’ in the comments.

3 Likes

Hey this is a great idea as I love me some data, I didn’t even know we had a poll thingy.

4 Likes

I have to protest again: sway is not i3, i3 is not sway.

3 Likes

I know that Sway uses Wayland… but according to their (Sway’s) site:

Sway is a tiling Wayland compositor and a drop-in replacement for the i3 window manager for X11. It works with your existing i3 configuration and supports most of i3’s features, plus a few extras.

https://swaywm.org/

So I chose to group the two (i3 & Sway). Sorry.

I added my two cents there.
i3wm
dwm
awesome
sowm
yaxwm
openbox
bspwm
fvwm
qtile

Those are what I have tried. Only dwm and i3wm are installed.

1 Like

Right: sway is a replacement for i3. But i3 can not substitute sway.

Hi,

i have switch openbox to i3, and at this time i like it.
Regards
Naltap

Great idea @manyroads

I’ve tried:

openbox
i3
dwm
yaxwm
bspwm
awesome
spectrwm
qtile
xmonad

Currently yaxwm and dwm are the ones installed.

@nwg here’s what we can do to help differentiate the sway from the i3wm flavors.

If you noted i3/sway use, please tell us which major variant/ descendant you use.

• i3wm
  • i3wm-gaps
  • sway

0 voters

LOL, sway is my daily driver, but sometimes I use i3-gaps. :slight_smile: Also dwm and Openbox.

2 Likes

I use gaps but I don’t use gaps :smiley:

1 Like

I do that with dwm. Use the uselessgaps patch but don’t create any gaps.

1 Like

Here are a couple lesser known window managers that unfortunately fell by the wayside:

Subtle window manager - interesting tiling window manager, one of the first to use the concept of tags.

goomwwm - (Get Out Of My Way Window Manager) - - floating window manager that uses tiling concepts; from the developer of musca; will need a hot key application like sxhkd for launching applications. Hard coded keybindings for window layouts only.

1 Like

There are very nice cwm exists.

It uses groups instead of workspaces or tabs, but similar concept.

1 Like

Well after some 80+ votes I can’t say I’m really surprised (ob/i3 tied at the top) but still some useful info.

1 Like

I’ve tried:
bspwm
dwm
fluxbox
openbox
i3wm
hlwm
spectrwm
ratpoison

my keepers are:
fluxbox (the Mrs loves this and frankly so do I)
dwm (my man cave when I want a challenge and lazy at the same time - interesting fact: it was a search on distrowatch for this wm that lead me to archlabs and I was so pleased with this distro’s philosophy, lightness and best of all the installer!)
herbstluftwm (really loving this at the moment - named scared me at first from trying but I found the workflow has a positive effect on my depression)

future plans when I have more time:
yaxwm
pekwm

1 Like

@leo00 ah another window manager wanderer… :wink:

my current favorites are:
dwm
bspwm
openbox
hwlm (although the new release is buggy I have encountered serious errors with picom xcompgr and skype… I got around the compositor probs by using a version of compton; skype well is another story~ but the blank white screen is really nice.)

Personallly I never liked fluxbox or iseWM very much. jwm is pretty nice though.

However, I digress.

@manyroads … yes that was the picom errors that popped up in my terminal when I exited hlwm. Thanks for the heads up about Skype on hlwm but I don’t use Skype because I have effectively ban MS stuff here after stupidity agreeing to a ‘free’ Windows 10 upgrade only for MS to turn your computer into dead weight (no exaggeration there) and stealing away your personal data in return.

When I was briefly distro-hopping and landed on antiX last year, I tried fluxbox, icewm, jwm there. Did not like icewm or jwm and found fluxbox just okay so I tried fluxbox on archlabs and other distros and it made me into a believer. Never bother to try icewm or jwm on archlabs because I did not see a point to it when it did not sell to me on antiX.

Hi Great Team,
just before to go work i’m sharing a link about a stat on Stacking WM

Openbox first, but strange, KWIN is second.
Two WM with different aspect:
First is fast and light-weight and configurable
The second, it is different :wink: