Where did dmenu go..?

I installed 2018.06 and it seems when I push super key there is no dmenu anymore…how does one turn that back on? It was one of the best features of AL… really need it.

Thanks

Hey Tim, check your keybinds. It still should be there. I doubt @natemaia would remove one of his favourite utils.

None of it seems to work Matt, Super by itself does nothing… alt + f2 doesn’t get me a run dialog either.

I may install the 04 .iso… it was the ultimate…

I don’t believe we’ve ever had dmenu, not for a long time if so. We have rofi which is mapped to Alt-F1 by default, ksuperkey is used to allow one keystroke to simulate others (due to obvious reasons openbox and other WM don’t allow single modifier keys to act as a mapping)

I’m guessing you opted in to lightdm in which case the setup isnt configured with ksuperkey.
Check ~/.xinitrc you’ll see these lines, just a matter of transferring them to your autostart

# keyring for storing passwords
if hash gnome-keyring &>/dev/null; then
    gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11 &
fi

# gnome polkit
if [[ -x /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 ]]; then
    /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
fi

# simulate Alt+F1 with just pressing Super
if hash ksuperkey &>/dev/null; then
    ksuperkey -e 'Super_L=Alt_L|F1' &
    ksuperkey -e 'Super_R=Alt_L|F1' &
fi

equivalent for ~/.config/openbox/autostart

# polkit, required for authentication
/usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &

# keyring for storing saved passwords
gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11 &

# pressing super key alone simulates pressing Alt-F1
ksuperkey -e 'Super_L=Alt_L|F1' &
ksuperkey -e 'Super_R=Alt_L|F1' &

This has already been fixed in the configs and shouldn’t be an issue in the future, apologies

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks Nate…will try this now.

That did it, i’m good to go now… I guess it was drun i was missing.

That’s interesting. Another reason not to like lightdm.

1 Like

I need some sort of a login screen. I have kids and coworkers I don’t want to have just starting my PC and using it.

1 Like

I see the guys complaining about LightDM in some posts but I do not have problems like that, I had problems but this is common according to the updates, I use the AL the way it is and the system is full of installed programs, 95% gui, and even though the AL boots with 232/248/260 MB of memory and no crashes or other things, I think this is linked to customizations or some hadwares … that’s what I think …

1 Like

@TimApple Thats totally understandable, the issue regarding configs and missing autostart items is fixed.

Totally seperate note and not directed to anyone, if you don’t want autologin with the current build you can remove /etc/systemd/system/autologin@.service

Now you won’t be automatically logged in, and can just sign in normally. Once logged in, the configured session from ~/.xinitrc will be run, this avoids the need for a dm but still gives privacy

However some changes to systemd (or perhaps just the wiki) the recommended way has been changed, so in current testing build the file to remove will be /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf

Cheers

1 Like