What's on the menu for Christmas Lunch?

For those of us that celebrate Christmas, what’s on the menu?

In my family we take turns on what day our families gather to celebrate Christmas. This year Christmas Day is with the In-Laws. I am smoking a couple of chickens with a baked stuffing, as well as two rolled pork sirloins. Spuds, salads and many, many, many deliciously cold Stella Artois.

On Boxing Day lunch is with my family, I will be bbq’ing two lamb shoulders and a glazed ham, again with salads and spuds. Also, surprise, surprise, many, many, many, many delicious ice cold Stella’s.

4 Likes

For centuries in Poland, Christmas Eve was a day of fasting, and at the same time the day of the greatest gluttony. The table is dominated by fish dishes, dumplings and sweet desserts with poppy seeds. Traditionally, even atheists like me don’t eat meat on this day. For several years, the Christmas Eve supper has been held in our house, mainly due to the size. Usually there’s exactly the same set of dishes every year. This year on my table:

• herring in oil with onion,
  • herring in sour cream with apples,
  • Greek style fish (common in PL, fish w/ vegetables & tomatoes, probably unknown in Greece :smiley: ),
  • fish stewed in mushrooms and sour cream,
  • pierogi: Russian style, and the other with sauerkraut and mushrooms,
  • vegetable salad,
  • red borscht (barszcz),
  • Śliżyki - Lithuanian poppy seed cookies,
  • apple pie with pudding,
  • carrot cake with pear and coconut flakes,
  • some other cake by my mom, probably makowiec (poppy seed cake) and cheesecake.

(Very traditionally it should be 12 dishes! :hot_face:)

Christmas holidays lasts two days in PL. On December 25 and 26 we eat:

• whatever left of the Christmas Eve supper (most wanted!),
  • bigos (hunter’s stew),
  • baked meat, served cold or hot.
5 Likes
  • Tomato & Burrata Bruschetta Board with Basil Pesto
  • BBQ Lumina Lamb Leg with Garlic & Rosemary
  • Lemon & Fennel Salmon with Capers & Artichoke Dip (1kg salmon)
  • Herby Potatoes & Baby Carrots
  • Crunchy Cos Salad with Caesar Dressing & Cashews
  • BBQ Greens with Parmesan & Pine Nuts
  • Plum & Rhubarb Cheesecake with Pistachio Streusel

plus 1 leg of ham
plus some extra salads
plus some extra desserts

[EDIT} oh - and some of that horrible heineken rubbish :wink:

5 Likes

Being from the Netherlands myself I still fully agree with you on this :wink: Enjoy nevertheless :beers:

3 Likes

heineken

Lol, not my fav beer, too. Thankfully I bought some porter.

2 Likes

You guys are really having a good feast. Heineken, hmmmmm, not an enjoyable beer.

@knob hopefully you are getting the good weather we are experiencing here in HB.

3 Likes

Ham, lots of ham, mashed taters, green bean casserole and some candied yams.

2 Likes

Looks tasty @SqdnGunny

Lamb. Slow roast in crockpot.
Usually orzo with that.
Vegetables to be determined.

3 Likes

I’m thinking were gonna do deep fried turkey this year, never done it before and curious. Also got a chunk of pork I’m brining and turning into a ham I plan to smoke tomorrow. The usual canadian sides - stuffing, potatoes, veg.

3 Likes

X2 having the same here.
but really, what time is supper?

2 Likes

1700 hrs EST

1 Like

Deep fried turkey is good. No shortage of videos on youtube where some redneck will show you the proper way to make it. There is a Cajun recipie for it, but that requires some real skill with the fryer.

6 Likes

The week after Thanksgiving is the best time to find videos of people being awarded their Darwin Award fore deep frying a turkey that has not been totally defrosted.

3 Likes

We’re roasting and smoking some Cornish hens, gonna so some holiday Brussel sprouts, stuffing and some other stuff.

3 Likes

Brussel Sprouts = Fart Grenades

3 Likes

Most good food is.

2 Likes

Totally Trad:

• Roast Turkey & Stuffing

• Gravy

• Roast Potatoes

• Yorkshire puddings

• Pigs in Blankets

• Roast carrots & parsnips

• Peas

• Brussel Sprouts

• Christmas pudding with flaming brandy

• Mince Pies

• Crackers, crap jokes and paper crowns

• Wine

And its going to be great because I am not touching anything (good for me and everyone, I’m a disaster chef) as we are back at mum’s house in the UK for Christmas :+1:

2 Likes

Wow, that s some lunch in there !

Have a nice one @leigh

2 Likes

cheers. and you!

2 Likes