What do you drive?

Nice & clean @nwg

It’s pretty quick. It’s more of a comfort car than a speedster though.

Yep , a cruiser so to speak, Great ride @Dobbie03 .

Yeah a cruiser. :smiley: Power when you need it.

lol, it might surprise some youngsters when they want to race @Dobbie03 !

Hahaha, @Dobbie03 @altman my princess is only 1.2L. She’s pretty quick, but in a zippy kinda way. Good thing I’m not interested in racing anyone.

lol, you bet, racing s pretty expensive & racing in the streets s bad ticket wise.

My home - work route is 3.5 mile long. As soon as a single charging station appears near my holiday location, electrics will start making sense. :smiley:

It’s got to be a very gradual transition. I think my kids will see it (hopefully) but the infrastructure needed for not only commuters but industry and agriculture, will take our lifetime. An electric for city use or for a commute of 3.5 miles, makes sense now… Trouble is, battery tech, the production and delivery of energy (in a way which becomes more sustainable than it is) is at least a generation away.

You are probably right. I’m simply not a fan of combustion engine. I’ve never been.

The resident Engineer 'round here is @sevenday4. So, let’s see what he may think. Again, love the notion of electrics, love the notion of clean energy… Not too sure the two are upon a parallel path at this time.

On the other hand, This family loves with a passion, it’s rides and at the moment… They all growl and use gasoline.

It seems to be a part of the American dream. And you still have your oil fields. :slight_smile:

I won’t be baited @nwg. Go to bed and sleep well.

Hi @anon37345411, electric cars have come a long ways. There fine when you are in areas that you can plug into if it’s necessary. In fact, I know of someone who has a plug in station at his home. But, when you’re in an area where there is no plug in station, you’ll be in a bad situation. These plug in stations are not at all like the plugs for high voltage outlets. They are specialized. The neighbor I was talking about actually owns a hybrid, which I think is the smart way to go. The biggest problem is lack of plug in stations and also the cost of replacing the batteries. How many batteries in a car depends on the manufacturing company and how they configure their systems. Another issue is whether you’re in very cold regions. There are batteries that can deal with freezing temps, but they are not cost effective. Batteries can run you up to $150 or more for just one battery. The battery technology for such a system, in my opinion, is not where it should be for such a system. I would go hybrid just because the plug in stations are very scarce. Also, the batteries are heavy, meaning that not only do you have to worry about the batteries giving you good mileage but whether the car will not wear down from all the weight of that vehicle. And I haven’t even touched upon the maintenance of the batteries, spare parts for the harness system, the motor, etc. Right now, to have an all out electric vehicle, just isn’t feasible. You would have to be pretty wealthy because this technology is still in its infantcy and parts are not plentiful. The milage per charge is improving as technology advances but, it’s still not something I am comfortable with at the moment. In time it may take the place of fossil fuel powered vehicles. I would say maybe in about 15-20 years before they are as reliable and dependable as the cars we drive now.

Lol my route to work is 900m.

Well, it will be fine at first but what about when the battery itself gets run down and stops accepting new charges?

The production of batteries is not at all environmentally friendly and once they’ve reached the end-of-life then the disposal is even more problematic.

Fuel cells ftw!

Anyway, back on topic…

I’ve finally changed bike and got onto a 2015 Honda CB500F because of the looming Ultra Low Emission Zone regulations in London.

It’s a brilliant bike, not the fastest thing around but the fuel consumption is superb and the relative lack of power makes it very fast in wet and slippery conditions because I can keep the throttle screwed on where riders of more powerful bikes have to back off or start losing traction :slight_smile:

The only problem is the anti-lock brakes, which are actually rather dangerous because they just release the calipers if the wheel starts to lock up, making the bike over-shoot. I may try to find the fuse and “correct” this so I can go back to enjoying my skids again :smiling_imp:

I bet you don’t reach the maximum speed on the way. :grinning:

I disagree. If they have the advantages of both engines, they also have their disadvantages.

The absurd development of the combustion engine would never happen if the oil fields did not occur in Texas, but only in Arab countries. Today, we would drive cars on hydrogen cells or something better. And Islamic terrorism would not be a threat, as it’s difficult to conquer the world with sabers on camels.

@nwg, apparently you didn’t read my post completely. I said that for now a hybrid is the smart way to go due to the lack of feasibility of an electric vehicle and maintaining of said technology. Can we have cars run on water? Absolutely! But you still need electricity for the electrolysis to occur to produce the hydrogen to burn. But to carry hydrogen around as fuel? Have you not heard of the hindenberg?

Every technology is dangerous when not used properly. And the steam methane reforming is the most common industrial method of obtaining hydrogen.