What are you using for dot files

I’m curious to see what most here are doing for pushing dot file to their repos.
What tools (graphical or text) or process flows are you using to push your dot files?

1 Like

Technical giant that I am… I use cut & paste (into a shared dropbox folder).

3 Likes

Nextcloud. I never got around to effectively using one of the Git’s. And btw: why not recreating them all the time? I’d be bored if it was just a plain copy into .config :rofl:

1 Like

I too, never got on the git-train. My archive routine works pretty well for my needs but I have often started down the git-path only to actually ask myself; why?

1 Like

I can not remember every little detail in my configs, especially when they get more & more junks in. :grinning:

1 Like

For those gh fans, this is handy.

I tried this approach, but given up.

2 Likes

I eventually created a local git (git bare) and it works … sorta. I suppose if I were to use it more often, I would remember what the hell I did the previous time, lol. That seemed to be my biggest problem. It was just easier to use the scheme I came up with.

I like the git bare idea as I wouldn’t really want to store my files off-site.

Version control ftw! Having a record of old configurations can be very useful. Having said that I just dump all mine in a single GitHub repository with no structure at all. And I haven’t updated them for quite a while. Very poor all round really.

3 Likes

I just push my dots via git through my terminal. I have two backups I keep up to date, one at Github (link in my sig) but that’s mainly my Suckless shit the other is a private one at Notabug where I back up everything.

3 Likes

I wrote a script a few years ago for my dots (but it can be used for other backups). I think I posted about it somewhere but a refresh never hurts → dfm

It can do local or git repo backups and restorations in either timestamped “snapshot” backups or normal root overwrites. Best of all it’s quite small (~200 sloc) and easily tweaked for anyone’s preferences.

3 Likes

I’ve always just used git and stow. Might try out Drew Devaults method or Nate’s eventually.

1 Like

One drawback with stow is if some directory doesn’t exist in home but in your repo then when you stow it it will create that directory as a symlink, then some other program can put files in that directory, then you unknowingly can commit those files to your git repo.

So basically you want to make sure the directories exist in home before using stow.

1 Like

I’m actually looking at lazygit if I continue down this path. I hear good things about GitKraken but kinda cringe at having to setup an account with them.

Yet Another Dotfiles Manager

3 Likes