What Are You Listening To

@altman Meyer talks a bit about the Dead’s Wall of Sound, and I don’t know of they used delays (where you time speaker arrays to where they all “hit” at the same time, so your delay array’s - speakers placed 150-200 feet or so into the audience fire when the main array’s sound waves reach the delay array, which without delay timing would make the overall audio unintelligible), but Meyer said in the article I linked that if anyone wanted to replicate the Dead’s Wall of Sound, well good luck, it was first designed as an individual monitor system for 5000 seat theaters, to then scale it for 50,000 plus amphitheater with all those drivers would had been a pain in the bleedin’ hole, especially since you have to buss a buttload of outs for loudspeaker management, and if say a small amplifier array took a shit that was driving a zone of loudspeakers just for Phil Lesh’s midrange, fuck me that’s beyond my pay scale lulz.

Metallica’s last tour had all of Meyer’s latest tech, they don’t tour without Meyer, and it was very very very badass. I swear by Meyer, I love their PA.

Edit: I hadn’t built PA for a few years since I became out of commission from my accident, but one of the PA’s a built was for a small show for Rob Thomas. It was all Meyer thank God, I’ll post a couple of shots I took from that gig later (edit: scratch that, they were JBL lulz).

1 Like

I didn’t order the amps, in fact I had to repair them before the gig lulz, but here is the amp rack and stage for Rob Thomas. Why he has a Baldwin piano on his rider I dunno, I was just there to build the system, fire it up, make sure it didn’t take a dump, power down, and bail. This was the third show I worked with Thomas, the other two was with I just doing camera. This show was he slumming for a group of high priced lawyers, it was the first show I worked where I didn’t hear a bunch of teenaged girls screaming 'WE LOVE YOU ROB!". I don’t dig Thomas much (nice cat though), he’s too Florida Man for my taste (he’s from Florida lulz).

2 Likes

Hey thx for sharing @drummer .

Nice pix !

1 Like

07:21 in sunny Sai Gon, 25 degrees Celsius. A reflective day ahead with the Vietnamese blues in the background :wink:

2 Likes

Dark Tranquillity

2 Likes

If this were a mullet contest, Dave Weckl’s belongs in the Mullet Hall of Mullets:

Edit; I put the original;

1 Like

Haken

1 Like

Ulcerate

Can confirm, album of 2020. Closely followed by Paradise Lost and Imperial Triumphant.

1 Like

Old School Death Metal goodness.

Morgoth

2 Likes

That I know !lol

Before he joined David Lee Roth’s band (thus his mullet, as he was in Roth’s band during this time of the vid) Bissonette played in Maynard Ferguson’s Big Band. Bissonette went to the University of North Texas, one of the premier music colleges in the US. I focus on his hands, especially his fingers, and the beaters of his bass drums. He has great technique, to me textbook.

2 Likes

Yep, Bissonette s quiet a drummer.

1 Like

Heard about him in magazines but noticed him 1st on the Extreme Bass dvd then;

2 Likes

Alltheyoungdudes_album.jpg

3 Likes
1 Like

Ulcerate

3 Likes

:metal: :metal:

2 Likes