What about system backups, what do you use?

What methods and tools do you use to backup your system as to be able to restore a fatally broken one that you won’t be able to fix easy with a chroot? And what folders are the most important not to forget when doing a manual backup?

In the past I ported my AL install using rsync from a laptop to a new pc but that took a while as I included everything.

2 Likes

As I like to live dangerously I don t use any backups, but I must say I use my craptops for personal uses only, if I was to use it professionally it would be something else.

2 Likes

Since I started to use Linux full time about two years ago, no matter what distro I had installed, I never managed to break it beyond repair, but I always did some backups, at least for some peace o mind because that little green/red devil is watching me waiting for the day I have no backups :japanese_goblin:

2 Likes

Lol, yep, better have some backups.

1 Like

These days … just copy & paste to a local NAS (backup) & a Nextcloud (backup of the backup) instance. They’re both accessable right from the file manager.

Outside of those, I don’t sync … but admit it’s intriguing. Syncthing looks pretty good.

If I hit a crappy update that I can’t figure out, it’s pretty easy to just reinstall. You know how it goes … a really good excuse to try another spin. :grin:

2 Likes

I have a spare partition to test try other distros but AL I have the original install, first installed to a laptop, then I bought a new pc and ported the same install from the laptop and works like a charm.

1 Like

Since I started working with GitHub, I don’t care about backups. My archival projects I copied to a HDD and put into the drawer. All my current work is stored in the cloud. OS is just OS. I’ll install it if necessary.

3 Likes

I’ve had a MEGASync account for a few years and all my critical stuff is backed up to there and I have a MacBook Pro and 2 ThinkPads that have all the same data so I have a lot of redundancy.

I do have a BitBucket account that I will also use for all my configs / .dotfiles, need to get my lazy arse in gear and finish setting it up but all that is on MEGASync as well.

EDIT: Good topic @drLobes

1 Like

Good calls @nwg @SqdnGunny

1 Like

You’re using Debain stable. It has less chance to break anyway. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes @chroot , but I have stopped experimenting, so less chance to breakup as it did years ago when I was always pimping ! lol

1 Like

I don’t backup my Debian stable, either. Do “sudo apt update” probably once in a month. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Oh, I do update every day .

I use clonezilla every so often for full disk backups of my main drive. I also use rsync and parity two drives.

5 Likes

I don’t store anything on my computers, I store them on external drives, or a file server to be built later. With Linux, I don’t have many system borks, unless I do something stupid, but I did go through a lot of distros, so I did a lot of re-installations. I stopped doing a lot of custom tweaks, everything is mostly out of the box, and I am all good as far as the system not crashing.

1 Like

That’s right. Backup/restore is used to prevent data loss mainly caused by hardware failures.

3 Likes

I use rsync to back up dotfiles and what little data I work with these days. Back up to a couple external drives.

4 Likes

@natemaia @PackRat @chroot or anyone else here, if I want to manually backup my system, which folders to include or exclude? (apart from /home or /.config, I’m asking only about the system files/folders here)

@drLobes How about /etc for any system wide special configs? And possibly /usr/share?

1 Like

I’m not sure, that’s why I’m asking :grin: