Weird Boot Script and Stall

Ever since the great BIOS debacle of several days ago I have been seeing strange script flying by during the boot process. Sometimes it continues without interruption to complete. Other times, I get something like the following and have to enter startX to get to competion. Any advice?

What did you find when you googled the error messages?

Anything in that Xorg.0.log file listed near the end of the message?

What video card is in that laptop? You can use lspci in a terminal if you don’t know.

lspci

will display a bunch of information about your system. Video card, bluetooth, network etc …

IIRC I’ve seen this error previously setting up a barebones system without a login manager. Login manager should set the $DISPLAY env variable and in my instance I’ve had to set the $DISPLAY env variable to get the x or wayland session running, however it always failed to start and not randomly, so maybe this is unrelated. Are you using a login manager?

1 Like

Which error messages? Those string of text don’t really define an identified error message.

I shut down and ran the full Dell onboard diagnostics. Everything checked out OK - no problems noted. When I rebooted I got yet another login error message and used the “startx” command to complete the boot.

That is a very long file. Do you want me to post it? lspci returns this:

[ken@archlabsdell ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point LPC Controller/eSPI Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
[ken@archlabsdell ~]$ 

No login manager. It boots (when it does) straight to openbox, which is what I want.

xf86EnableIO: failed to enable …

would be one to check.

No, just check to see if there are some error messages in it that you can follow up on.

I didn’t see the error Packrat is referring to until reading his post :slight_smile: . The error I’m referring to is

Fatal Server error: (EE) no screens found (EE)

1 Like

It’s littered with “coudn’t find this”, “overlooking that” “falling back to default”

Fatal Server erro: (EE) no screens found (EE) returns a gazillion hits going back at least a decade, each dealing with a different cause and proposing a series of trial and error guessed solutions.

I’m going to back up my data and a few .config files and then do a complete re-install, beginning with a brand new .iso downloaded and burned. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to have to conclude that I’m in way over my head with Arch and move to something like boring old, stable Bunsen Labs.

I use the ly display/login manager (I have a several WM’s and XFCE that add in during installation). It’s not a GUI one, it’s pretty dope really. You can add that in the install.

I had all kinds of issues when I first started to try AL, but I can install it now when I’m down six beers, it’s super easy and solid once you are more familiar with it.

Don’t do that.

How often does this happen? I actually see that I/O error when I boot. The X-server did not start up for me once - also an intel video; but second try with startx and I logged into openbox.

How often does the X-server fail to start for you?
Once you’re in openbox, is everything working properly?

This may be a bug in xorg or intel graphics. Otherwise your install is fine. Switching distros may or may not solve anything.

1 Like

Exactly, one of the many reasons why I took the effort of installing AL is because it’s really the only Arch based installation (outside of Archbang) that I prefer to use. Because it’s one of the very few that doesn’t use Calamares. Plus it’s super stable and minimal. Despite how many WM’s I load up in the boat.

1 Like

It’s about 50/50. Half the time the boot wades through the list of errors, warnings, etc. (wtf???) and boots. The other half it stalls after some sort of warning and waits for me to enter “startx”. Unpredictable, not exactly confidence building.

But there is something else seriously wrong here. I have been trying to install a couple of apps today: protonvpn-cli and imagewriter. I verified first that both of them were present and current in AUR. In both cases sudo pacman returned “Error: target not found”. Baph -i found the packages, began the install, tripped over a bunch of errors and aborted the install. This has happened a couple of times previously.

I think my archlabs install was corrupted somehow, either in the download of the iso or in burning it to a usb or in the actual installation procedure.

That’s normal for a package in the AUR; pacman doesn’t check there so you need a helper like baph.

1 Like

Oooops! Mea culpa.

I’m not a stupid person so the fact that I’m encountering this much trouble probably means that I’m out of my league.

Nah it’s just a bit of growing pains. Paper cuts happen.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. After install, try to use the LTS kernel and keep your system backed up, let’s say at least once a week. Good luck.