VirtualBox freezes with OpenBox

Hey guys, hope this is in the appropriate board. :slight_smile: I am running into issues with VirtualBox-5.2.8-121009 freezing in OpenBox. I have to swap to TTY2 and kill the process to recover the host OS. I have disabled compton and cleaned up / reinstalled VirtualBox to no avail. The weird thing is that if I switch over to an Xfce session, it runs with no issues.

Has anyone else run into this or have any ideas on what might be causing it? The previous version seemed to work fine. I am about to rollback…

Update: Rolled back to 5.2.6 and it’s still doing the same thing. Xfce is still fine, though. I wonder what else got updated recently… Kernel, headers and Nvidia. Although this is also happening on a machine with Intel integrated graphics.

Hey, I haven’t had the issue but I haven’t used my VM’s in a few days
may have been a recent kernel update causing the issue.

You only have the issue in openbox?

Thanks for the repy. :slight_smile:

Yeah, only in OpenBox. On one machine with an AMD FX CPU and one with an Intel Core i5. Both machines, I swap over to Xfce and VMs run no problem for hours. It’s weird. New kernel update today, so I will check again.

Update: After the kernel update today, I went ahead and removed 5.2.6 (which had been installed from the VBox website) and installed 5.2.8 from the Arch repos. No more issues. Ran a VM in OpenBox for two hours with no issues.

:smiley:

Hurray! I don’t have to be a lab rat. Lol I was going to check it out and see what I can do but you fingered it out first!:grin:

With the newest Kernel / Nvidia drivers, it is smoother than it has ever been. :smiley: Host and guest are like butter.

2 Likes

Its a good feeling when your OS runs like a dream.

1 Like

Well, hopefully Oracle doesn’t try tweaking their software again for a long while and we have to scramble for a solution. I’d rather concentrate on tweaking my system and design. As well as coding of course. :grin:

Well, sadly, the issue is back. :frowning:

Frustrating because I would also rather focus on coding and testing. lol. And I :love_letter: OpenBox… I am out of ideas.

Darn it, you’re going to make me into a lab rat after all! Lol.

Did you do any special changes to your VM box, or did it just reoccur after another system update?

Can you post the output of

pacman -Qsq virtualbox
pacman -Qsq linux

Just want to make sure you have everything in order.

Is this an issue following a kernel update, it usually takes them a few days to push a new vbox version when something does break

Wow! Sorry for the delay guys. Real life got crazy. Nothing changed in my Vbox setup. Just a standard install. Same install that was working for months and months. So, yes this was after an update, but I couldn’t say which one. System is AMD FX 8-core, GeForce 1050Ti using the DKMS driver. Compton installed and enabled. Compton.conf present. Virtualbox is excluded in the config. Comptray also installed. Turning compositing off doesn’t make a difference. As previously stated, if I log out and log in to Xfce, the issue disappears.

[palanthis@archrig ~]$ sudo pacman -Qsq virtualbox
virtualbox
virtualbox-ext-oracle
virtualbox-guest-iso
virtualbox-host-dkms

sudo pacman -Qsq linux
alsa-lib
alsa-utils
arch-install-scripts
archiso
archlinux-appstream-data
archlinux-keyring
aurarchlinux-keyring
avahi
broadcom-wl-dkms
filesystem
g810-led-git
iptables
keepass
keyutils
kmod
ladspa
lib32-alsa-lib
lib32-keyutils
lib32-libva
lib32-libxshmfence
lib32-util-linux
libaio
libiec61883
libimobiledevice
libraw1394
libutil-linux
libva
libxshmfence
linux
linux-api-headers
linux-firmware
linux-headers
man-pages
mdadm
nvidia-dkms
pacman-mirrorlist
slack-desktop
squashfs-tools
util-linux
v4l-utils

Don’t sweat the delay man we all get busy

Why use the dkms package? I’m pretty sure you need to manually rebuild the module each time after a kernel update, perhaps I’m wrong, I use the basic host modules and haven’t had too many issues as long as I’m are using the mainstream kernel and not the LTS one. Sometimes when a new kernel ships and things need changes it takes them a few days, but this way you get the update as a new package version and dont have to rebuild any modules as the package is pre-compiled

Try this out

# remove it all just to be sure
sudo pacman -Rs virtualbox-ext-oracle virtualbox-guest-iso virtualbox-host-dkms virtualbox

# now reinstall the arch virtualbox package and host modules
sudo pacman -S virtualbox virtualbox-host-modules-arch

# now you should be able to just run it
virtualbox

You may need to restart for the kernel module to be loaded but I don’t think so (I didn’t).

Why it works in xfce and not in openbox I’m not sure, I dont think it has anything to do with compton.

Lemme know if this works

Cheers

1 Like

I agree with @nate. Try what he suggested and see if that works. After last update, my AL wasn’t working on my system and couldn’t fix it. So, I have to reinstall everything, so I couldn’t experiment to see what happens. But, what @nate suggests is very plausible. Hope it works. Now back to cursing my system out while I redo everything! @#!%$@