Using my laptop as a second monitor

I want to use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop, this is the first solution that I managed to get it working, extending my desktop to the left to a disconnected output and then using vnc to show the image on the laptop. I even tried to show a movie in full screen on the second monitor/laptop and even if it has to go trough vnc on the local wifi, it is smooth enough. But, the current issues I’m having are:

1. if my pc goes to screensaver, when it comes back all the apps are positioned/moved on the virtual output/monitor and not on my main monitor where I left them.
  2. I don’t know how to take proper screenshots now, I got used to flameshot and xfce4-screenshooter . It only captures starting from the virtual monitor and only part of my main monitor.
    This is what I used for my setup:
gtf 1366 768 60 (thats the resolution of my laptop)
xrandr --newmode "1368x768_60.00"  85.86  1368 1440 1584 1800  768 769 772 795  -HSync +Vsync
xrandr --addmode DVI-D-0 1368x768_60.00
xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --mode 1368x768_60.00 --left-of HDMI-A-0
x11vnc -usepw -nocursorshape -nocursorpos -noxinerama -noprimary -solid -repeat -forever -clip 1368x768+0+0
then connect with a vnc viewer to this server

Or maybe someone has a better idea how to do this laptop/second monitor thing? (my laptop has a hdmi port but I think thats only for output)

Have you tried arandr and just configuring the outputs using that?

No I didn’t because because xrandr’s output to the second monitor is correct its just the thing that happens with the apps being moved when coming out of the screensaver.
I’ll have a look at arandr tommorrow.

@chroot your post looked promising, why delete? :grin:

edit: @drummer No, arandr can’t help me with anything. I just disabled the screensaver for now.