Used Crunchbang! long ago....and miss it

Hello folks,

I’m an antique UNIX (SunOS) administrator and network manager from a thousand years ago when everything was hooked up with ethernet cables and multiports and we marveled over 80 MB harddrives.

I’ve always used Linux at home (what’s Microsoft? A laundry softner?) and for the last few years I’ve been using Mint and am due for an upgrade.

So hear I am.

I’ve never used Arch, so I’m currently researching. I see that the forum is a small crowd; how long has Archlabs been up and running? I’m sure the info is out there somewhere.

Any major issues I should know about coming from a Debian world? I understand that the installer is console. I’m mostly concerned about upgrades bricking my machine, which I’ve heard Arch OSs have been known to do. I’m gettin’ old folks, and would rather not deal with the hassles any more. Let me know your thoughts on Archlabs.

I’m on a T530 (Thinkpad) with generic hardware, so I doubt that will be an issue.

Peace!

Welcome!

Been running on the same AL install for almost two years and have had no issues, I think a lot of these “problems” you read about are normally from people who don’t know what they are doing.

As you are new to Arch, just read the wiki as it is the best resource out there and play with your machine. Any questions, just ask.

Welcome @Wolfman!

I have my Arch system on btrfs so I can take snapshots before upgrades, that takes away the risk without having to spend the time making a full backup.

You could try snapper, that automates the process somewhat.

I used SunOS a bit back in the 80s on SPARCstations, it was cool.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum @Wolfman, see you around

:grin::joy::rofl:

This a meme
“mom pacman broke my xorg again, cancel my meetings”
Nope it just works, but sometimes you can have a dependency issue like

“thing cannot be update cause it breaks thing.1 wich is stuff.3 dependency”

Just remove stuff.3, and reinstall
Or it can be

“cannot update sss/sss/sss cause it already exists”

Juste rm -rf sss/sss/sss and redo the update
That’s all.

If something else breaks it’s because of a bad package from the aur, it can happen, or because you have done something wrong somewhere, it happens too, like on debian.
I have less problems on arch based systems than on debian, and I have used it for years.
Arch is really solid.
Welcome here, I was surprised but here guys know the stuff, like on arch forums but without that bad elitism (don’t talk about archlabs on arch forums or you will face an incredible autistic screeching) and you also have the devs in the forum who share with the users.

Hi @Wolfman, welcome to the gang.

@k43r17h is 100% right.

I remember those days @Wolfman! I remember also when PCs first came out, the trs80 (also known as the trash80), Apple one, and the most favorite, terminals with paper output with no monitors! Welcome to the forum! I use timeshift to backup unto my passport just in case things go south. It’s very easy to use. And you’ll get the hang of Arch, just as @Dobbie03 suggested, read up about it through wiki! And if you’re in a jam, plenty of knowlegeable people here to help! Peace!:grin:

@Wolfman, just try it and I’m sure you’ll like it! The small crowd forum don’t mean it lacks solutions, if you ever run into problems. Welcome aboard!

Yes, I still have fond memories installing servers (NIS, DNS, etc) at 4 a.m. on Sat or Sun before the users were back at it on Monday. (Major rolls; sw, hw installs/upgrades.) We had about 400 customers in a secure branch of the Gov. Music blaring away and a gang of pizza-loving geeks havin’ a ball. We’d have done it even without pay. Don’t think I could handle the lack of sleep anymore, though.

Well…it is soft. And its micro, so it gets into everything and you’re stuck with it whether you want it or not.

I’m taking college courses online. I’m re-inventing myself (Art History of all things.)

Anyway, I’m forced to use a MS laptop because of Blackboard. I’m trying to get used to it for the first time in my life. The more I use it, the more I want my Linux back. Every now and then a project is finished as PDF and uploaded, so I can use my Linux. I prob could use LibreOffice and save off docs as docx and upload, also. But Word isn’t too heinous so I just use MS for it.

In fairness, MS is getting better over the days of the blue screen of death. I just hate the painful updates and constant virus scanning. I wonder how people live with it all the time. Guess you get used to it.

Thanks, and thanks to all for the advice…

Welcome to the forum sir.

All the people saying their systems haven’t broke are full of shit or haven’t yet experienced it, things do break from time to time on Arch based systems (just the nature of rolling release) and you’ll be left with a system that doesn’t do (insert issue here), however these can always be remedied with a live boot, chroot in, and run a few commands.

I’ve been running the same install for about 2 1/2 years and have only had major issues 3 times, twice due to kernel upgrades and once due to networking, all three took me no more than 10 min before I was up and running again.

Cheers.

For me, Windows 7 was the only MS OS I could somehow live with, after I discovered I could use Linux instead of DOS. But it’s greedy on ressources and data instead of being nice and comfortable for me. For the security, I can’t accept to add an extra layer of complexity in trade off for resources. I don’t get the concept, how an extra layer of attack surface could lead to better security, while compromising privacy. Still waiting for a smartphone alternative though…

Amen to that. Richard Stallman won’t carry one. I do feel like I’m being assimilated into the Borg (Google) every time I use it.

We had a philosophy back in the day.

As long as you can fix it, it isn’t a mistake.

Peace…

There is an alternative:

If you combine that with F-Droid then you can de-Google your phone completely.

Apart from the kernel backdoors, ofc :grin:

I think that thing is called micro&soft

Well the time I installed the system was November. So after I was running it fine. I personally am a bit paranoid, so I also run btrfs snapshots. I had two minor problems on my system. This was OBS being compiled from the wrong versions of qt in the repos and some of the archlabs scripts were changed when the new installer was released. I do not know what exactly caused it, but I looked into the archlabs forums and there already was a fix available something I had to uninstall. Not a big problem I was still able to boot and everything, but that was a bit of a transition, because after that I was not able to open my menu with super anymore and had to use ctrl + space for it, but that is not a big issue for me at least, don’t know what happened there. Anyways, I chose the distro because it looked visually appealing to me and I did not want to configure openbox myself, running mostly in the terminal, it did not slow me down too much.

I stil had the graphical installer with a openbox, but that changed now and you can install what exactly you want to run, but I can still recommend openbox, though. As always, read the arch wiki. That helps if you have problems and I would also recommend to so also.