USB Stick Install 2022.10.15 ISO

Hello,
Well I decided I was going to give Archlabs a install to try it out and I have downloaded the ISO 2 times. The first download I got from Sourceforge and the 2nd from Mega.NZ and used BalenaEtcher to create the Bootable USB drive both times. Each time I go to boot I get the below errors. Not sure why it will not boot, any hep would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

Type startx from that screen one more time.

What wm are you using?

Also, I just use dd to burn an ISO. Probably no different to Etcher but one less package to worry about.

I am just trying to boot up the ISO from a USB stick to install it. I did type startx and same error

oh this isn’t even installed?

No can not even get to that point, lol

Looks like you’ve booted - you’re at the root prompt. But an Xsession will not start.

Try a simple command like lsblk and see if your hard drive shows in the output.

1 Like

Not sure about those SQAUSHFS errors.
Did you check the iso against the sha256sum file? You may be having trouble downloading the iso, or maybe a bad thumb drive.

1 Like

I am going to re-download the ISO and try creating from my main PC. I actually formatted the USB driver and used Etcher to create a bootable USB with a Garuda ISO and it worked normally. I will try and figure it out. I was concerened about the SQUASHFS errors and was thinking the same thing until I was able to use the USB driver with another ISO so not sure on that one.

1 Like

:+1:

Try this. On a different thumb drive if you have one available.

1 Like

Sorry not familiar with DD, what is that?

It’s a command line tool to burn iso to thumb drives, as well as, a bunch of other disk operations.

ArchWiki dd

how to burn iso with dd

dd can be destructive, BalenaEtcher is working so stick with that.

2 Likes

Double check, I emphasise, double check what drive you are writing to and use this command:

sudo dd if=NAME OF ISO.iso of=/dev/DEVICE bs=8192 status=progress

Where NAME OF ISO = the file name of the ISO you downloaded

Where DEVICE = the device you are writing to, e.g. /dev/sde.

Just triple check what device you are using, dd is unforgiving if you choose the wrong one and hit enter.

1 Like

I created a new USB bootable drive on my Windows PC using Etcher, I used a new USB thumb, never been used before. I will see how this works. Crossing my fingers. :slight_smile:

If you get to the point where you have those xinit errors and cannot connect to the X server then drop out to the root prompt, have a look at this post - and the entire thread.

Usually removing those files will allow you to start X.

If you downloaded the latest iso, you’ll log into dk window manager. These commands will start a terminal:

# terminal emulator
super + Return
    al-terminal
alt + shift + Return
    al-terminal
super + t
    al-terminal

al-terminal is a wrapper script; it will start xterm.

1 Like

That might be the problem. You may need to use dd from a Linux machine.

1 Like

Well that fixed it, must have been a bad USB thumb drive. I was able to boot up to a live session. Thank you all for your help.

2 Likes

@aandmsantos0910

You can also create your ISO with popsicle in AUR, it works very well.

1 Like

You can’t reach the graphical session but typing installer will work :wink:

1 Like