Update problems

I tried to update the 106 updates this morning but I get this error:

couldn’t satisfy dependencies
installx265 (2.8-1) breaks dependency ‘libx265.so=151-64’ required by ffmpeg 2.8

What should I do?

Delete VLC and ffmpeg2.8. Then after updating do a sudo -Syu then you can reinstall VLC if you want. I ran into the same situation, and this seems to be the only solution.

^ Never run this command, an un-synchronised package database can wreck an Arch system.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported for more on this.

Always ensure that the database is synchronised when installing new packages, for example:

pacman -Syu vlc
1 Like

Thanks. I’ll give that a try. Maybe that is why Clementine stopping working?

Also: I’ve been having trouble logging back into the forum. it keeps saying I have the wrong password even after resetting and changing it. Only way to get in is through the link in my email reply.

Hmmm, I have done it before. Maybe sudo pacman -Syu will be better.

Thanks again… update is complete. :slight_smile:

ffmpeg2.8 no longer exists, simply remove it with pacman -R ffmpeg2.8 after you should be able to update as normal

1 Like

Yes, or Syyu to force database sync even if pacman thinks they are already up to date

1 Like

That’s true. But we have to try keep everything under control. It seems there’s more breaking of systems, but not from the AL side. But until these things show up, we will be stomping around putting out fires until we end up with 5 alarm disaster on our hands. And I have used pacman -Syyu and still have some issues unresolved, or nothing is updated. I have even used pacli force cleaning failed, after all it uses sudo pacman -Syyu in its repritour. Arch needs to do a check on these packages, unless it’s coming from the linux firmware…:thinking:

I think this is just par for the course with Arch installs, people should know better by now :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It’s just part of the mystique of Arch, annoying, frustrating, and troublesome. But maybe I’m being sadistic here, but it keeps me on my toes on another adventure. Who needs a novel…:grin:

1 Like

I received this error today but -R did not resolve, pacman 5.1.0-1 arrived and together came a cyclic dependency error of ffmpeg, I solved with sudo pacman -Rdd

It’s been a long time since I was given a “cyclical dependency”

1 Like