Uninstalled amd-ucode and now system will not boot

Hi!
I did a really stupid thing. My system started to get full so I uninstalled and removed files and some programs/apps. I have and intel-haswell on this HP Probook laptop and uninstalled amd-ucode. Now I can not boot. Want to chroot but iso from 2019-10 will not show up as a bootable option. (same with March-beta) I have tried several usbsticks with the same result. Tried Arch and that iso did boot. There I had problems with chroot. Could not update grub config file so back to square one. I really don’t want to reinstall!

Anyone with a hint?

womp

1 Like

Any ways to try reinstalling

amd-ucode amd64-microcode

Hi! Thanks for answering!!
Yeah I did managed to reinstall amd-ucode (from Arch-iso) but that did not help. I tried to update grub.conf but couldn’t. It seems like my archlabs system is unreachable from Arch-iso and archlabs-iso will not boot at all! Tried etcher, minstick and imagewriter on severall sticks but archlabs-iso will not show up!
I find this really strange!
womp

1 Like

Gee that sux, any ways to reinstall grub !

I used to save my butt with grub rescue or such, will try to get it.

Haven t used this for a while !

1 Like

Here it is, hope that it can be of any help;

https://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

I also fucked up my grub last night, but restored it with chroot with no major problem.

What was your commands if you do remember @nwg

1. Boot from your installation media;
  2. mount /dev/your_drive_name_here /mnt
  3. arch-chroot /mnt
  4. install grub according to if you use UEFI or not (well described here);
  5. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
1 Like

Thx @nwg , appreciated, might help other members in the future.

1 Like

LOL, I thought I was the last one here who couldn’t remember how to chroot. :rofl:

1 Like

lol, not alone I guess !

Thank you all!! I used altman’s solution and that worked right away!!

Restatux is a good tool!!

womp

1 Like

Thx appreciated @womp

1 Like