Troubleshooting Install/Configuration on Razer Laptop

I wish to help other Razer Blade owners installing AL with this thread.
I will update this post with the different installation issues encountered on my Razer Blade Stealth 2018 and their solutions.

Firstly, I will mainly target installation//hardware related issue here. If you have software issues you should check other tutorials.
If you have some doubt regarding some resolution, I’ll gladly try to respond to the best of my knowledge.
Nevertheless, please, check the links below and/or on the internet prior posting questions. I won’t hesitate to respond with lmgfy links to obvious ones.

This won’t be an exhaustive list… If you manage to resolve some of your problems, please comment so that I can update this post. Or, even better, make your on post following this kind of model concerning your machine (Sadly I can’t own all Razer laptops. :thinking: Or can’t I… I should try becoming a reviewer maybe).

Finally… I’m not (yet) an Arch guru, so my solutions may certainly not be the best - by far, feel absolutely free to comment if you have a better idea//understanding of what is going on.

==============================================================================

Model: Razer Blade Stealth 2018 - i7-8550U Kaby Lake
AL iso used: 2020.04.17-beta
Issues Resolved:

Hardware Errors:

• [drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] ERROR CPU pipe A FIFO [2]
    Well known with recent kernel and Kaby Lake architectures it seems…
    Adding kernel launch option intel_idle.max_cstate=4 worked for me
    Other solutions exists and are described in ArchWiki page on Razer Blades

pacman errors:

• One should refresh mirrorlist right after connecting to internet in the installer (ctrl-z)
    reflector --score 100 -l 50 -f 10 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist --verbose
  • Partition / too full - before/during al-installer [4]
    Extending cowspace size seemed to resolve the issue, depending of what you want right away during install you might need to extend it up to 5-6G
    -Kernel launch option: cow_spacesize=xG
    -During installation: mount -o remount,size=xG cowspace

Separate partitions:

• Issues within the installer, Samsung puts space in its SSDs names, thanks to Nate this was seamlessly resolved.
    My 512G SSD has been parted into, 512M boot, 75G root, rest /home. Since I wished to hibernate I also need a swap equals to ram_size + few gigs, but I choose the swapfile (hence the 75G root)

Issues to address:

• Bluetooth Issues - can ‘pair’ but not working properly
  • Handling Suspend properly - Doesn’t suspend and sleep loop
  • Handling Hibernate properly - need config
  • On-the-fly external screen
  • Weird issue when unplugging power - sleep loop

==============================================================================

Ref of interest:
[1] - This Forum! - Solving Potential Issues
[2] - ArchWiki - Razer Blade
[2] - ArchWiki - Razer Peripherals
[4] - ArchForum - Error: “partition / too full” during installation

Bad category I guess… I should have went for Technical Issues / Tutorials

With how well structured your post is I wouldn’t think this. Extra recent help like this is more than welcome.

I’ve tested this and it should be correct, right at the beginning of the installer when you select keymap (not locale) it’s run early so other keymaps can be loaded before forcing entering password etc. If there’s no matching console keymap for the selected you’ll have to find a suitable one in the following selection menu.

I can move it if you like.

1 Like

What Nate says.

I have moved your thread into a more appropriate category @MaximusSeniorem

Alrighty then :smile:

During the installer indeed, no issues there.
That point is for when installation is finished, having the fn-keys working correctly, and other stuff like that :slightly_smiling_face:
I think, it should be nice to have a “list of command you’d want to pass to the installer”

I’m gonna beta-test like crazy the installer until I manage to get what I want :grin:. Be prepared

Nice, thanks

I’m probably going to make a discussion thread about installation issues. I’ll keep this one updated though

1 Like