Tried to reinstall AL, but

I am trying to reinstall AL, but it keeps saying there is no network. Yet, the AL that is installed, windows 10, and Arch sees the networks and connected without any problems. Therefore, can’t update the live USB. @nate or @Dobbie03 may need to look into this. No matter if I use wifi or ethernet, I get no connection with the live USB.

Using latest iso?

Can you ping anywhere

ping -c1 google.com

Is this an installed Archlabs were talking about or do you mean the live session?

Both. Can’t get anything as far as connecting anywhere. As I said earlier, I could make connections with others but not through this latest iso, I’m stuck. It even freezes up and I can’t restart my PC. I even tried wifi and couldn’t connect. Yes, this is the latest iso.

Hmm, I’m honestly not sure.

I just grabbed a download from SF and I got network on both my laptop and in a VM.

Did you try ping? Depending on what the response is you might have a couple different issues

One may say something about dns… in this case can you ping your own localhost or 127.0.0.1

This is probably your issue right here :stuck_out_tongue: my install date: 2017 07 27

All jokes aside I’m really not sure, have you check summed the iso, I’ve personally never had an issue with a downloaded iso being corrupt but who knows

Now I have this error:

Failed to execute command for pipe-menu “al-terminal-pipeline”: Failed to execute child process “al-terminal-pipemenu” (input/output error)

I am beginning to agree that this may be a possible bad iso. I’m going to redownload and burn again to see if this is the issue.

@sevenday4 Any result mate?

Both, the lastest iso “2018.05.1” always say “no internet connection”…such as that. but i try to use 2018.03.iso ,it’s working well.

Wonder if firmwares were removed somehow on the latest iso, on my end it was 18.03 that didn t worked .

Edit: It was the wifi that didn t work.on 18.03 release.

I’m going to try today sometime, when I have the time to do so. I am hoping that it’s just a fluke. I will post the results asap.

@nate and @Dobbie03, it was a failure. I’m still getting the same errors. I can’t install because it doesn’t detect my internet. But when I did a system update while on live and it’s updating. So, connecting to my internet. I’m wondering if something in systemctl or one of the config files has a bug. After the update, I tried again to install, but get No network connection detected! Open Connection Dialogue? box. So I tried connecting to my wifi. Clicked on the pull down menu, it says it’s connected. Clicked installer again, same box comes up even though it says in the pull down I’m connected. Can’t get past Network Check to continue to install. I did

ping -c 3 www.google.com
www.google.com ping statistics
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2035ms

Yet, I get update info streaming in with no issue. The mirrorlists were able to connect. Could there be an issue with NetworkManager?

Well it shouldn’t be very hard of a fix either way, here’s what the ‘installer’ really is doing,
mainly just look for the last ~10 lines.

If you have network connection all you need to do is install the installer package with pacman, then run it as root, could debug it to see where its failing but no need.

I imagine it’s due to using google’s dns server address rather than web address :man_shrugging:

[[ -e /run/archiso/bootmnt && $TERM == "linux" ]] && setfont ter-116n

while ! ping -c 1 8.8.8.8 &>/dev/null; do
    bt=" Archlabs Installer "
    ttl=" Network Check "
    msg="\nNo network connection detected!"
    if [[ $(systemctl is-active NetworkManager) == "active" ]]; then
        msg="$msg\n\nOpen Connection Dialog?"
        if dialog --backtitle "$bt" --title "$ttl" --yesno "$msg" 0 0; then
            nmtui
        else
            exit 0
        fi
    else
        dialog --backtitle "$bt" --title "$ttl" --msgbox "$msg\n\nExiting..." 0 0
        exit 0
    fi
done

if ! pacman -Qq "archlabs-installer" &>/dev/null; then
    clear
    echo -e "\nUpdating the installer... Please Wait\n"
    sudo pacman -Sy archlabs-installer --noconfirm
fi

clear
echo -e "\nLaunching the installer...\n"
sleep 1
sudo /installer/installer

Run this line if you want to debug and see if my assumption was correct, after, run the same but use google.com instead of 8.8.8.8

! ping -c 1 8.8.8.8 &>/dev/null && echo "Not Connected" || echo "Connected"

You can also just edit this script which is what I pasted above in /usr/bin/al-installer and just edit it to whatever ping worked for you, there is also one other script which simply sets termite’s font bigger and makes the background opaque, then launches the script above, but it’s purely aesthetic

Very possibly, as you can see in the script above, $(systemctl is-active NetworkManager) is used to check if we can just open nmtui (cli based network connection editor), after failing the ping check. Do you get the option to open a connection dialog??

Do you get the option to open a connection dialog?

Yes, I do get an option to open a connection dialogue, this was how I was able to connect with wifi. Also, while in the dialogue I found that my ethernet connection was also active. This why I was questioning there was an issue with systemctl dealing with NetworkManager. I will try your script tomorrow evening to see if works. This is an odd quirk, but I am sure we’ll figure it out soon.

That is what’s running everytime you click the install option in the openbox menu :slight_smile:

Got it. Just figured something small was out of the ordinary.

Just never know man, always seems to be something XD

I joked one time that at this rate of solving all the issues, we may someday solve all the ancient mysteries of this world. :grin:

2 Likes

We can only hope XD

1 Like

When I do sudo pacman -Syu:
> liveuser@archlabs ~ % sudo pacman -Syu
> :: Synchronizing package databases…
> core is up to date
> extra 1608.3 KiB 282K/s 00:06 [----------------------] 100%
> community 4.4 MiB 204K/s 00:22 [----------------------] 100%
> multilib is up to date
> archlabs_repo is up to date
> :: Starting full system upgrade…
> resolving dependencies…
> looking for conflicting packages…
>
> Packages (20) alsa-firmware-1.0.29-2 boost-libs-1.66.0-3
> broadcom-wl-6.30.223.271-19 ffmpeg-1:4.0-3 fftw-3.3.8-1
> idnkit-1.0-4 imagemagick-7.0.7.37-1 kmod-25-1 liblqr-0.4.2-2
> libmagick-7.0.7.37-1 linux-4.16.12-1 pacman-5.1.0-1
> virtualbox-guest-modules-arch-5.2.12-5 volume_key-0.3.10-1
> wipe-2.3.1-4 x265-2.8-1 xorg-font-util-1.3.1-2
> xorg-setxkbmap-1.3.1-2 xorg-xev-1.2.2-2 zip-3.0-8

But, going back to installer it shows that dialogue box. I did change to google.com, but that didn’t work. I installed the echo line for diagnostic testing and even that wouldn’t work. So, I thought let’s go back one version, which is 2018.3. That version has no issues, it went directly to install AL.

Version 2018.6 seemed to have fixed this issue. If anyone else runs into this issue running 2018.5, I recommend using 2018.6.