ArchLabs Linux

Tray icon solution & notifications

Enable the tray in your polybar config file, not the i3 config file.

1 Like

Yeah it just accured to me mate HAHAHah WHAT A FAIL :smiley: I did it when i woke up :smiley: hahah

anyways, this is what i added to my polybar config

tray-position = right
tray-padding = 5
tray-background = ${colors.alt.background}

when i save the file, on the top right side of polybar something shows up and dissapears right away … :-/

Is

A valid colour option in your polybar config?

i tried

tray-position = right
tray-padding = 5
tray-background = ${colors.background}

as well … it keeps dissapearing … do i need to install anything to make it work or?

Can you please share your config. I’ll take a look.

But before you do that, run in the terminal polybar -r POLYBAR NAME" and see if it outputs any error regarding the tray.

try like this
wm-restack = i3 or yours wm
edit

; Currently supported WM's:
;   bspwm
;   i3 (requires: `override-redirect = true`)
; wm-restack =

my polybar config is the default one that gets provided with the i3 install of ArchLabs, didn’t change a single thing except that i added the recommended lines at the bottom of it … will share it in a few hours, busy these days

@Dobbie03

└> $ polybar -r "i3-bar"
warn: No monitor specified, using "DVI-I-1"
error: tray: Failed to put tray above 0x2200002 in the stack (XCB_MATCH (8))
warn: Systray selection already managed (window=0x1400008)

config file: https://pastebin.com/QAZcvVAs

This tells me you already have a systray running. Are you running another bar like tint2 or something similar that is using systray as well?

Check in arandr if this is the actual name of your monitor as polybar doesn’t recognise it.

Also, what’s up with this in your config?

modules-right  = ${env:POLYBAR_MODULES:coreuse temperature memory pkg network volume}

I’d change it to this:

modules-right  = coreuse temperature memory pkg network volume

@Dobbie03
No i do not have any sys tray running at all (or at least i think so), I have used archlabs-installer, setup my partition, setup my username and password, picked a WM (i3-gaps from the installer) picked a few additional software (browser, terminals, and similar stuff) and installed the system, and even the config file I got for polybar is the default polybar config file supplied from ArchLabs-Installer so I have no clue what do you mean whats up with that, as that’s what is supplied by your distribution as a default config file

Interesting, I hadn’t realised that the configs had been changed.

warn: Systray selection already managed (window=0x1400008)

Means that the system tray is already being managed elsewhere.

Have you tried deleting your polybar folder and cloning from BitBucket and starting again.

https://bitbucket.org/archlabslinux/pkgbuilds/src/master/archlabs-polybar/

@kronikpillow - I haven’t been following this thread closely, but are you running polybar as well as the native i3 (i3-gaps) bar? The system tray for the i3bar is on by default, you can disable it (see the user guide in the docs section of i3 home page). Or remove the bar stanza from the i3 config to disable the i3bar completely.

see

@PackRat no I’m not using the i3 bar, I have no tray at all, and i checked the i3 config there is no tray in the config, I’m using a clean blank install of ArchLabs I3, with it’s default configs and setup for, I have tried placing the i3 blocks bar and tray and disabled the polybar, and even the i3 bar doesn’t have a tray … So i really don’t know whats up with this …

@Dobbie03 I dunno if things have changed from before or not, it’s just a tought, and No i have not tried deleting my polybar config and installing the one from https://bitbucket.org/archlabslinux/pkgbuilds/src/master/archlabs-polybar/ because it’s identical to the one I have on my system, I have checked on bitbucket, It’s basically the same thing I have installed

has anyone managed to solve this? I returned to ArchLabs after i worked in bare Arch for months to learn it, still no tray, this is what i get when I run polybar from the command line

warn: Systray selection already managed (window=0x160000c)

so how do I figure out what is “managing” my systray? because there is no systray

Can you post both your i3 config and polybar config please.

1 Like

wmctrl -l

in a terminal will list all the windows being managed.

Missed this. Notifications from dunst? You should have a ~/.config/dunst/dunstrc file that has the geometry and placement specifications. If it doesn’t exist, you can create one. There is an example in /usr/share/dunst

For openbox you can use tint2 (works with bspwm as well). If you don’t want to use tint2 for just a system tray, trayer and stalonetray are available in the repos.

my i3 and polybar configs are the default ones that ship with the installation of ArchLabs, I am using ArchLabs I3 atm, i managed to solve it by placing
tray-position = right
tray-padding = 2
tray-background = ${colors.background}

wm-restack = i3
in ~/.config/polybar/master.conf

and that tip about dunst also worked :slight_smile: Thank you all, and thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

I have to admit, this whole situation was funny :slight_smile: