Transform ui to "mac os-like"

Hi!

I wonder if anyone has tips on how to transform ui to “macos-like”?
I am using openbox on this macbookpro 8,1 (2012) and it’s working great. I am going to try to fool some guys.

womp

lol, might go faster also than a Mac !

1 Like

@womp Have you tried asking on BunsenLabs forums? They do a LOT of OB tweaking there.

Archlabs openbox is dancing compared to mac os!!

womp

1 Like

Thanks for the good advice!!

womp

Lol, you bet my friend !

1 Like

You can do a search - plenty of themes out there to make openbox look like Mac -

top 5 entry when I did a search

Usually just a couple things to install.

Great!!

womp

Use plasma for starters, then customize to suit. There’s plenty of guides on YouTube that do exactly this.

I have almost no knowledge of Plasma but it’s a good time to try it out!
Will try it out.

womp

Well. I tried out the latest kde-plasma and it’s a mess I must say!
The tipping point for me to ditch it is that there are no swedish language available in 5.20.2!

womp

Back again with at least a little result. Most parts from xfce.

womp

Wonder if Compton might be of any help to you @womp

1 Like

Yeah Plasma is the de-facto DE to “transform” a Linux desktop into MacOS, and I agree it’s a mess. But with Openbox, maybe it can be done with a polybar, or a tint bar with the executors. GNOME with the dash to dock panel on the bottom can replicate Mac OS as well.

But the easiest DE to use for that is Deepin. I forget if they have a small bar at the top, but the dash panel on the bottom is closest to Mac OS, it has a full panel launcher built in, and it used to have a great side panel, but possibly due to intellectual property, it has ceased on later versions.

Oh and I forget about the distro elementary, but I have never used it, because I have Mac OS already.

Well. I have never tried Deepin! It seem to be a good time to try it out!
Elementary is based on Ubuntu and I am not so fond of Ubuntu. I am not going to install Elementary.
But Deepin will be interesting!

womp

Plasma has a “global menu” extension. It allows pretty much all qt-based and most gtk-based applications to display their menus on the panel. This makes it more close to macos behavior. Firefox currently doesn’t work well on global menu. You may need to install a patched version to make it work.

My two cents. When I was WM hopping I also tried out some DEs. Deepin was the closest to mac OS feel IMO. Actually it felt better than mac OS. Beautiful and intuitive. Shame I can’t use it because my system have weak sauce.

A lot of Plasma users use Latte Dock - which crashed on me a lot when I used Plasma - for the Mac OS desktops. Also, Plasma works best with Kvantum, and with those two apps, it just bloats Plasma even more.

Hello again!
Well. I have been reading a bit and Deepin DE is not recommended to use. Major security risks!
Both Arch and Suse refuses to work with DDE at the moment because they get no answer about the issues. Damn, it looked promising!

womp

The dev is from China, but I figure it can be forked everyone can see the code. I don’t use it, again I have Mac OS and if I bothered to make Mac OS like Openbox, I would lulz.