Top 10 Best Arch-based Linux Distros Available

No sure if you guys have already read it. AL is listed #8. Just for fun.

Top 10 Best Arch-based Linux Distros Available To Check Out

4 Likes

Good news @chroot . Thx for sharing .

1 Like

"… Manjaro is much more stable than the vanilla Arch Linux. "
This made me laugh, hard :rofl:

5 Likes

Manjaro broke so many times on me, it was like playing loud rock with toy drumsticks. Upstream issues, broken packages, fragged keyrings, you name it, they screwed it more than Charlie Sheen on a cocaine bender.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t Arch itself qualify as an Arch-based distro?!?!

The nice thing about this particular article; opinions are like #$%holes. Everyone has one … And they all stink. Pfftt… Archlabs rated at 8??? Should have at least been above Manjaro.

3 Likes

Yeah, those kind of lists… Almost like the overviews of the best VPN’s out there :wink: My two cents (having used 7 out of the 10): you like dressed-down: ArchLabs for any DE, but best with OB or Awesome for me (like when i experimented with Plasma, even that was one of the best experiences out there, KDE Neon-like). You need a little more dressing-up? Endeavour. Last release really impressed me. Best PR machine? Garuda, bloated beyond anything. Let the flaming begin!

1 Like

Absolutely. Never seen such a bloated OS before, but for the average user it seems perfect/useful.

2 Likes

Yeah, well I agree with you on that but for a standard, just ready to go distro for an average user I’d recommend Endeavour now. I just reinstalled BunsenLabs and I am loving it :wink:

1 Like

LOL. I didn’t install Manjaro on my machines. I usually test a distro in a live environment. I noticed it has too many changes and heavily bloated. However, I keep a copy of their i3 version around. I like some things they have done right, such as hardware detect & support , theming, etc.

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t see why EOS is so popular, either. It has a live image and a Calamares installer (which is much slower than AL installer). Maybe more noob friendly?

For me AL has one of the best installers that I have used.
I use Arch as my main OS and AL as my second. Debian Sid has a place with me as well as I just couldn’t kill it after two years of use.

5 Likes

In some senses, that’s not a totally baseless statement. Manjaro buffers changes in Arch repos. Sometimes, it may save them from a chaotic situation, for example a broken system caused by a kernel or essential package update.

Manjaro’s main problems are,

1. they have made too many changes to a vanilla Arch
  2. it’s heavily bloaded

Yes, my favorite Arch installer.

1 Like

Manjaro was my step from Mint to Arch and AL and I did use it for 3-4 months without any problems at all but it is bloated and people everywhere have all kinds of problems with it.

1 Like

Manjaro played with the kernels and I never saw so much troubles with Internet connections ever.

Because it’s Arch with a Calamares installer, with a choice of desktops at install. Which is what end users really want, but Arch “evangelists” don’t. It’s picking up where Antergos left off (which I never used but from what I can tell was a very popular distro). They also have a community that isn’t a bag full of dicks like Arch’s, who can’t wait to scream “DID YOU READ THE WIKI?” at every little whisper. People install OS’s all the time, from MacOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, etc, who don’t need a wiki for it. Take away the AUR - Arch’s main selling point - and it’s just another distro.

Myself, I don’t like the Calamares installer, but I also don’t want to install an OS line by line, bit by bit either. I prefer the solution that AL, Archbang, and Anarchy use for Arch, a text based one. I don’t see Debian going all Wiki Puritan, or any other Linux based OS for that matter. The only time you really need the Wiki is because shit breaks, or gain a better understanding of how to do more tweaks and config’s after install, and of course when there is a distro like Manjaro that always breaks on you, I can see why Arch’s forum is the 700 Club of Linux, preaching the King James Wiki Bible because of a Calamares installer.

1 Like

May I present you ArcoLinux, or Ubuntu Ultimate lulz.

Yes, they too. :slight_smile:
But i don’t judge anyone based on their personal preferences. If someone wants to use Ubuntu, Garuda or ArcoLinux etc., then he/she should.

2 Likes

I agree, which is why I use Linux, because of all the choice one has.

Which also can be a problem, because at this time last year I was going through distros almost every day lulz. I finally haven’t now that I have AL and a cross pollination of Sparky and BL. Well at least on my Thinkpad, I have some other stuff cooking on some other computers that I have yet to mess with.

Give me a big SSD, and I will boot into all kinds of shit lulz.

1 Like

I have a craptop to test ISO’s, I like to test them on older hardware just to see how they run.