Timeshift Settings

Hi,
I have AL openbox with i3 on tty2
What should I have in my Timeshift Include/exclude patterns, please?
I have the following, the exclusion of /run/media/leigh is because that is where I have my internal and external data disks / partitions mounted which I backup separately using Grsync
Will this keep all my AL OS setups etc for me in case of breaking thru fixing?
Cheers
Leigh

2 Likes

Always good to have a backup.

Looks all good in there @leigh

3 Likes

Thanks @altman :+1: :beers:
I saw the summary tab and so now simplified my setup to get rid of the /run/media/leigh exclude pattern in the above as I think they should be excluded by default anyway [edited]

This could be a bit like the lifejacket dilema - some say if you dont wear one you are more likely to be extra careful and actually become safer - like the car safety expert who said the most effective safety device would be an iron spike sticking out of the centre of the steering wheel to constantly remind the driver of the danger involved (I wonder if that is a myth or not?)
I dont agree with them, but perhaps I will now become a little more blasé and bugger everything up :joy:

2 Likes

YOLO - I do not backup any of my systems :rofl:

live dangerously mike myers GIF

6 Likes

lol, welcome to the club @HaxNet

2 Likes

Funnily enough, I watched that film yesterday evening :joy:

2 Likes

I back up my Mac daily but my Linux machine I have most important dots stored on a couple spare externals and my other important stuff I keep at notabug. Officially done with GitHub for my personal stuff.

3 Likes

I need to write a Joplin note with everything I did to get where I am with AL, like I did for my previous OS preferences. Then a backup isnt so important.

An honest question here - Mac and Linux make strange bedfellows in my current model of the world - I can see why Linux, but why Mac? I’m asking as I’m curious, not to be belligerent.

1 Like

YOLO!
a new one for me - love it :smiley:

1 Like

lol, never heard of that one also before .

Wonder if it s that one !

1 Like

Bet that it might have to do with job requirements !

I guessed so - carpe diem sounds so dated in comparison

1 Like

lol, yep maybe because it s stated often & for so long.

I use an iPhone and I do like MacOS so sort of makes sense as well as now the wife and both my boys use Macbooks too. I study using my Macbook and play on my Linux machine.

2 Likes

I’m with @HaxNet

Backups include only a couple of folders. Those are encrypted & dropped in the cloud with automagic backups. Lost too many local e-files to dead or corrupt local drives over the years & have moved away from the redundancy of multiple backups. Very recently replaced a free OneDrive account with my own space over @ Digital Ocean.

1 Like

I have my windows VM included within my Timeshift backup so its huge.
Not sure if I should move that to my Gparted data backups or not but TBH it works as is and that way OS backups are together and my data separate

I got one of the RPi based Nextcloud Boxes when they came out which I use as my access to my data via cloud / another backup. However at the moment its down as I have to move from the Nextcloud Ubuntu Appliance version I switched to from the original software as its stopped being maintained.

2 Likes

I have to say, I have never used a mac, but my wife’s old iPhone 5S (now a LMS media interface for the kitchen RPi Zero Moode Audio player) used to drive me crazy with the way everything seemed to be locked down and kept out of my control.
My daughter now has an iPad as part of her school e-learning package - and I am a complete halfwit on that according to her (she is right). Actually, she says that she would not call me a complete halfwit in general only because there is no similar phrase with a much smaller fraction. It just all seems so counter intuitive to me - old dog new tricks syndrome no doubt.
I’m going to try MacOS - there must be a Linux-based MacOS emulator / copy, or whatever its called, out there that I could put on an old lappy, surely?

2 Likes

I have used MacOS for a fair few years. Just like Windows it can be frustrating to use but mostly it does what I want it to do. I just have to remember I’m not using Arch when I am starting to get a little shitty with it.

Not sure man, maybe look at a VM or something?

My eldest uses his Macbook for his music production. Any questions I have I come to him :smiley:

4 Likes