Things that make you hate/love computers

This:

3 Likes

lol, a good reason I think.

1 Like

I’m surprised I haven’t found any old SIMM memory - yet. This is stuff I had in a few boxes that were in storage. I still have more old gak in boxes there. Some things I can re-purpose, like old switches/routers for instance, but a lot is just old tech lying around.

One thing I still have is a buttload of CAT5. When I was put in charge of the media installation of the local LPGA golf major championship, I ditched the former infrastructure that was run on analog RF/Coax cable (because I didn’t want to do the math of measuring db’s lulz), and I wanted to scale it for digital transmission. We ran over 10,000 feet of CAT5, I had to spider it to drive displays and projectors throughout the entire compound, the CAT5 could carry audio and HD Video (displays around the 18th green or near any tee boxes could not have any audio it would interfere with play, so in case any attendee wanted to turn the sound up on the display, there wasn’t any audio fed to it), plus it was easier to switch sources, from broadcast to leader board, sponsor logos and video, etc.

It was easier to manage than RF because the way I saw it, data just dies when it reaches a certain amount of cable, I just added a node or switch to carry it further, and I could route it easier. I just took home a buttload after strike, after my five years doing it were done.

1 Like

Found a load of IEC power cables in the pile lulz. Know why I emptied the boxes? To find some USB thumb drives that I was missing. Found them, but hell, it was like find a needle in a haystack.

Lol, all that for some small stuff. Like loads of stuff now I guess.

1 Like

Lulz, found this in a box:

1 Like

Neh, this is what makes me love comps!

1 Like

lol, remember buying some of these magazines !

1 Like

Wait until I find the shoebox of old burned ISO’s lulz

1 Like

I’ll just set this right here…

https://vintageapple.org/byte/

1 Like

Changed the thread title.

1 Like

Good thing @drummer

1 Like

@altman Yeah I figure all that gak I have means I have to love computers lulz. But it doesn’t mean I can’t hate things about them either.

2 Likes

Yes sir, sometimes it looks like I would kick the hell of either my laptops or the supplied ipad from my mostly part time job ! lol

2 Likes

Yeah on some gigs at work, they would tell me “We have computers for the gig spec’d already”, I’d show up, see they were Thinkpads on gummed up Win 7, and oh by the way, there is video in the content, and there is only Windows Media Player, with no codecs, instead of being Macbooks with Powerpoint and Playback Pro.

The flipside to that was being on a Macbook, and someone had .wmv files, which meant trying to Handbrake on the fly when they showed up, and they would be like “Is this vid ok?”.

I thank the makers for h264 lulz.

1 Like