The Tommyknockers

Stephen King has been my favourite author since I discovered Cujo when I was 11. I love his books, his news not so much but the classics I re-read often. The Tommyknockers is a book I have always liked and I thought the other night, its been years, Time for a read.

I gotta say, the book hasn’t aged well. I’m going to make a statement, I think it is a shit book.

There.

3 Likes

Never read this book, think I read some from Stephen King , but it was a while back !

Stephen King agrees with you, he wrote it whilst suffering with a cocaine addiction:

I read it myself when I was 13 years old. I liked it then but kids have no taste, right?

The story was inspired by H P Lovecraft’s Colour Out Of Space, which I love and has just been made into a film with Nicolas Cage.

2 Likes

Pretty good assessment by King. Interesting premise that goes downhill in a hurry.

1 Like

@Head_on_a_Stick, thanks for that, I was unaware Mr King felt that way.

In a great hurry/

I have discovered numerous prolific authors have published books of varying quality. It is always disappointing when a trusted author drops a (how shall I say it) t*rd. *=u
:laugh:

btw. For others who may be on Goodreads and are interested… here’s my page.

To be honest most of King’s modern work is sub-par. I am in need of a new author to be obsessed with. One that can hold my very limited attention span like classic Stephen King used to.

@Dobbie03 What kind of stuff beyond Horror do you like? I’m not a big fan of those. I’m more into dystopian, post-apocalypse, sci-fi, space operas, fantasy, mystery novels.

Literally everything you mentioned I like. :smiley:

If you have not tried the following, I like these:
JRR Tolkien
Issac Asimov I,Robot (series)
James SA Corey The Expanse (series)
Greg Bear (Eon, Eternity, Anvil of the Stars)
Steve Berry - Cotton Malone (series)
Lev Grossman The Magician (series)
Philip Kerr- Bernie Gunther (series)
Frank Herbert- Dune (series)
Fritz Leiber- Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (series)
Ellis Peters- Brother Cadfael (series)
Kim Stanley Robinson- Mars Trilogy (series)
Connie Willis- Oxford Time Travel (series)
Pierce Brown- Red Rising (series)
Raymond E. Feist (anything he writes)
Markus Zusak- any of his books except “Bridge of Clay”)
James Hilton- Lost Horizon !!!

If you need more let me know. Hopefully there are a few on this list for you to enjoy

@manyroads, thanks for the list, I’ll bookmark this and add or remove I a I get through them. A number of these authors I am already quite familiar with.

Night Watch series by Sergey Lukianenko - if you happen to speak & read Russian get the originals; loses a bit translated to English

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein

AH yes, I enjoyed the Nightwatch series. Good set of books there.

Adding to the list.