The PC Hardware Thread

Resurrecting the Hardware thread I inadvertently dust-binned forever.

Post your recommendations, issues, successes and whatever is hardware related here.

The Beast got a new video card; because AL won’t play nice with any of my NVIDIA cards.
AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB GDDR5 Professional Video Graphics Card
Because one needs a fast card to keep fast system fast.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-wx-2100

Next step is to dual boot with AL and compare; just 'cause.

This box has 2 - 12 Core (24 threads) Xeons for 48 threads.

Interesting to see the nvme drive lane is attached to CPU 0. I wonder how the work from CPU 1 gets to the nvme drive.

Here’s a scrot from before:

New business:

I wanted to time how fast builds execute. So I wrote a timer script:

146 seconds to build ArchBang; 2.4 minutes. Anyway, that’s my screenshot for the day.

2 Likes

Anarchy works fine with your Nvidia cards but AL doesn’t?

Correct-a-mundo, Senior. As well as every other Arch-anything I’ve tried.

edit:
I select the default Xfce desktop with a few additional packages; GIMP, Geany, Firefox, etc.
During the first second or so of the dmesg scrolling by, I see the video output get scrambled. I can still see it reach the login and wait there. I cannot get a tty to login to see what up.

Did you install Nvidia driver manually after the installation? I think AL installer installs nouveau for Nvidia cards only. (not 100% sure, at least I had to manually install Nvidia drivers for my machines)

So weird. As fas as I know, AL repo doesn’t have anything for Nvidia cards.

There’s something about the bumblebee driver in the installer script.

edit: line 2270

https://bitbucket.org/archlabslinux/installer/src/2947da8c425e562ca54506643b462583a598c30e/installer#lines-2270

1 Like

To be honest, I haven’t done AL installations for some time. Looks like the installer does do something for Nvidia cards. Not sure if @natemaia wants to look into it.

1 Like

And full disclosure, a fast pipe helps a lot:

@chroot is mostly correct, we don’t do anything fancy for any video cards unless you specify the tearfree command line flag (-t). A basic driver install is done and that’s all pacman -S xorg-drivers. Perhaps look into what Anarchy is doing Anarchy Installer / installer · GitLab.

Try adding the following to your kernel command line

nvidia-drm.modeset=1

If there’s really anything AL is providing that you can’t live without on other arch distros that do work you can just tweak a few things or add our repos, not really hard.

Only if you don’t already have all the packages in the cache, I build AL in around 160s but it’s a smaller ISO and I have less threads.

1 Like

To be honest, I find the Anarchy Xfce better configured than AL. Little things like: right-click in Thunar for ‘open root Thunar here’.

It was their flagship DE originally.

Perfect then I don’t need to dig into the nvidia issue.

Not for me, no. You have enough on your plate.

edit: plus I bought a new video card, just so I could run AL.

1 Like

Yea I hear you, I have a NVIDA card here, but I’m on Debian 11:

10 Jul 22 @ 13:30:42 ~
   $ gra
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 470.129.06 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:128b 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 compositor: compton driver: loaded: nvidia 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa alternate: nv resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 95 
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.129.06 direct render: Yes 

10 Jul 22 @ 13:30:47 ~
   $ 

and it’s MY LAST NVIDIA card - next is an AMD card.

Same with my printer: Brother HL1110 - had to add i386 architecture to my system #$&%
NEVER again: HP LaserJet as soon as …

3 Likes