The Hardware Thread

1 Like
2 Likes

Lenovo make some good kit, pricey too. Wonder how noisy those squirrel cage fans are.

1 Like

It is not cheap to stuff all that in a little box and keep it cool. Most manufactures do not even take this into consideration causing their units to run hot, or they just don’t care and know it won’t fail before the warranty runs out. :rofl:

2 Likes

Young drivers; give it time.

1 Like
2 Likes

Think how fast it will be to check email then.

1 Like

And run Devuan.

1 Like

@drummer @elloquin i like my thinkpad but would probably get an HPiece Dev 1 if I was shopping.

1 Like

I dunno, when it comes to lappy’s, the HP can stand for Huge Pile.

1 Like

Their business line can be awesome like Thinkpads. That’s pretty much where the dev 1 comes out of.

1 Like

I don’t really use the Trackpoint that much to miss it, so having it without the T-Pad center trackpad button would make it less of a T-Pad alternative. System76’s lappys don’t have them (the Dev 1 ships with Pop OS), and I’d rather their Lemur Pro than the Dev 1.

I dunno what the battery life is on the Dev 1, at least with T-Pads I can replace parts. I don’t like to spend that much on lappy’s, unless it was a Macbook, and I have yet to buy one of those. But now with M chips at various price points, just for the sake of getting paid to use a laptop, Macbooks are where I spend that kind of money.

HP laptop’s firmware is known to have issues with acpi in Linux. I’d buy either Lenovo or Dell.

This is the issue:

After searching high and low for many months now, I appears to be nothing and has never effected my using Linux on this system in any way.

Which distro/kernel?

I had that problem on my HP laptop running AL. It went away with the upgrade to 5.18.4 kernel.

I could never find out what the actual issue is either. Be nice to know if it’s a udev rule or kernel module that could be fixed/unloaded.

2 Likes

Most Linux distros. That pic is from your Void/Openbox spin. 5.15.47.1

That still installed to metal? Install the 5.18 kernel and see if it persists. Void is at 5.18.7 now.

1 Like