Termite is Dead

kitty & alacritty are fine terminal emulators. Memory usage is a little high. If you don’t need to display some fancy icons in the terminal, st & urxvt are light & fast enough.

1 Like

I have a lot of RAM and I’m not hesitating to use it. :smiley:

3 Likes

I have like 12 gigs of RAM on my T-Pad, and barely use 3 gigs lulz. I haven’t tasked it with heavy applications, but moar RAM the better. Like beer. I use the Counting Beers metric when it comes to RAM, you never want to run out of either.

1 Like

Someday, I too shall own a TP. I love my ASUS, but…
It’s kinda like me always wanting an Ovation acoustic but never getting one.

I got mine cheap off of Ebay, around 300 bucks, a T460s, with the better i5 CPU. It shipped in pristine condition, has an FHD IPS touchscreen, 12 gigs of RAM, all I did was slap a Samsung NVMe drive in it that cost 50 bucks. I shop for T-Pads on Ebay that don’t have an OS or HD/SSD on them, it shaves cost as I would replace them anyway and install Linux on it. I’m waiting to score a T480 for cheap, might shop them from the same vendor.

LOL, we have $$$ in bank account, but we’re still hesitant to buy either Ryzen 9 or 7. Guess it’s human nature.

There’s a famous tell on a poker table. Before flop, if someone checks his two cards and quickly puts them down. Most likely he’s got a strong hand. That’s also based on human nature, treasure protection. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’d rather wish for a Guild, I like those better than Martin’s.

1 Like

Moving to full AMD-based machine got me into trouble I’ve never experienced on Intel. For sure it’s all about my dual graphics… The 5.12 kernel after several minutes makes one of my external displays blink, and all the system becomes unresponsive. Today’s update brought the same bug to the LTS kernel. I’ve never had such issues on Arch yet.

I also ran into some issues after 5.12 kernel. Switched back to LTS for now.

Welcome to Debian camp! :laughing:

2 Likes

Hell, not yet. For now Debian and Suckless are no-go for me. I downgraded both linux and linux-lts.

Also read some complaints on other forums about regressions in 5.12

Damn on 5.12, but why the f.ck did they have to clone the bug to LTS???

1 Like

Blame kernel.org & Linus. Evolving too fast

2 Likes

Very true.

For over 90% of linux users terminal speeds are negligible or of 0% importance. I’ve tested a few giving a week’s time each and for the things I usually do they’re all almost the same, I stuck with alacritty just because it was the first one I installed myself when I came to linux and kitty wasn’t rendering icons properly.
Hell, I even have retro terminal installed and use it sometimes, it makes me feel good for some reason:

3 Likes

LOL - that is awesome!
Just installed it also. Love it!

1 Like

I like this bad boy for playing old DosBox apps… :grin:

In all my years of doing video and 35mm multi image panoramic slide projection, video projector blends, video walls, etc., an old CRT curved display kinda goes against my sensibilities. I remember when I bought my first flat CRT Sony Trinitron display, that big heavy bastard was dope. I can only go so “retro”, I prefer “vintage”, but more in audio, not old video.

1 Like

Ok now I am starting to think one of y’all is the dude from DT.