Tech Talks & Learning Resources

Just for the sake of our shared passion for technology and Unix/Linux, i thought it would be nice to have a place where we all can share educational and informative resources which we find over the internet about Linux and all tech related to it in general.

So I invite everyone to share educational/informative material like conferences, talks, interviews etc…

Please feel “free” to share!

3 Likes

Good topic idea @

1 Like

Glad you liked man.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

2 Likes

Gee, you re on fire @Beast ! lol

1 Like

Hold my beer sir @altman lol

1 Like

A systematic evaluation of OpenBSD’s mitigations

Theo De Raadt talks about the main thing that people should know about him and OpenBSD.

Linux kernel developer on the importance of prioritizing security over speed.

Slides rather than a video but here’s an overview of the Linux kernel runtime guard:

https://www.openwall.com/presentations/OSTconf2020-LKRG-In-A-Nutshell/

AUR package here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lkrg-dkms/

2 Likes

Love it! :sunglasses: I didn’t know about it, and will check that out today, Thanks for share @Head_on_a_Stick!

Update: I’ve just read it and I’m very impressed, that’s a very valuable effort to the open source community which I’ve never heard of… I’m sending to a friend who works at the security department for a brazilian oil company, if he doesn’t know it already, he might be interested into test them out or even support it. I am yet a restless student on this business and still solidifying the fundamentals, so i enforce again that I’m very grateful for this input @Head_on_a_Stick.

Also my paranoid side is very happy :sunglasses:

Ps: It seems that they’re working hard on this:
“However, it wouldn’t be expected to detect exploits of CVE-2016-5195 (Dirty COW) since those directly target the userspace even if via the kernel. While in case of Dirty COW the LKRG “bypass” happened due to the nature of the bug and this being the way to exploit it, it’s also a way for future exploits to bypass LKRG by similarly directly targeting userspace. It remains to be seen whether such exploits become common (unlikely unless LKRG or similar become popular?) and what (negative?) effect on their reliability this will have (for kernel vulnerabilities where directly targeting the userspace isn’t essential and possibly not straightforward).”

2 Likes

Thanks for this share @Head_on_a_Stick!

1 Like

Invaluable resource:

And this doesn’t quite fit but good news for fans of open-source hardware:

Xuantie-910: A Commercial Multi-Core 12-Stage Pipeline Out-of-Order 64-bit High Performance RISC-V Processor with Vector Extension

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Some interesting stuff in there @Beast

1 Like

Ton of good free content
Best YubiKey+GPG guide I’ve seen
Bash and things
Tear it down
3 Likes

Thx, loads of readings in there @xstefen

Really great stuff in there @xstefen, thanks for the input!