Synaptics touchpad 'jumping' when moving

Hey guys! Hope everythings fine with you all!
I’ve been enjoying archlabs A LOT but one simple thing is grinding my gears.

My mouse cursor jumps when i’m moving my finger though the touchpad, just like if it’s acceleration has been changed for a milisecond and then goes back to normal. I dont have the faintest idea of what could be as other distros showed no problem like it.

If that’s not very well explained i’ll try to record a video of it later.

Thanks for all the help!

also experiencing this problem

Personally I have never found any touchpads to work nicely in Linux. Sorry that’s not of much help.

The funny thing is that it worked fine on CB++ and BunsenLabs. It seems to me like a configuration problem or maybe some functions conflicting. How can I tweak those?

1 Like

Weird, had this trying to install BL on my Dell lappy also as well as other distros that I can t remember of, wonder what s doing this to happen.

Yea, touchpad configuration can be seen in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-touchpad.conf

By default we try to use libinput rather than synaptics, this can be easily changed

Thx for that, wish I knew that before . We learn everyday right !

1 Like

The funny thing is that using synclient returns me the error “Couldn’t find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?”
So which one is being used here? Libinput or synaptics?

Also having same issue… What are the proper steps to switching to synaptics?

To be helpful to someone else that finds this thread, and doesn’t want to go sifting through different places

edit

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-touchpad.conf

change

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics" #formerly was libinput, synaptics is my change
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "Tapping" "on"
    Option "TappingDrag" "on"
    Option "AccelSpeed" "0.8"
    Option "AccelProfile" "adaptive"
    Option "ScrollMethod" "twofinger"
    Option "MiddleEmulation" "on"
    Option "DisableWhileTyping" "on"
    Option "TappingButtonMap" "lrm"
EndSection

Then

synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2

as regular user made touchpad tap-to-click to work for me
I’m not familiar with synclients commands
so if this should be run sudo style someone can clarify, maybe with some better options too?
–edit, this isn’t permanent, and short of adding it to openbox autostart, what’s the proper way to store these values?

That file is read at boot so no need for sudo or putting in the window manager startup.

You do need to install synaptic driver though. And maybe remove ilbinput.

Go to the Arch Wiki and search synaptics, there is a very detailed and useful page for configuring synaptic driver. My HP works a whole lot better with synaptics driver so I always switched from libinput.

synclient changes are permanenet? with a flag? or as is? because on every reboot I’ve had to redo it each time.

Isn’t my keyboard using libinput?

I will read that wikipage for sure.

I did install synaptic driver, it said I was reinstalling it, which was okay, no errors. I edited the conf file to reflect my choice of synaptics. I took a stab, and it worked :slight_smile:

EDIT-- Read the synaptics arch page, and modified XORG conf to the recommended

All is working well and working as expected