ArchLabs Linux

Sxhkd gets confused

Hello fellows,

I’ve recently switched to Bspwm and of course Sxhkd too, I use an Azerty keyboard and sxhkd seams to be a bit confused. For example in my sxhkdrc file to close a window:

alt + q
   bspc node -c

… but I have to type “a” instead of “q”.
Another strange thing happens when I reload sxhkd config, the shift key acts differently if I want to switch workspaces. I’d like to use the keypad but how to? Any idea ? thx.
Here’s my .xinitrc

#!/bin/sh

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*.sh; do
[ -x “$f” ] && . “$f”
done
fi

[ -r /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap ] && xmodmap /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
[ -r ~/.Xmodmap ] && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
[ -r ~/.Xresources ] && xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
[ -r ~/.xprofile ] && . ~/.xprofile

if [ “$(command -v xset)” >/dev/null 2>&1 ]; then
xset s off -dpms
fi

numlockx on &

_check() {

command -v "$1" > /dev/null

}

_check sxhkd && sxhkd -c “$HOME”/.config/sxhkd/sxhkdrc{,_bspc} &

exec bspwm

Did you use the example sxhkdrc from the git page and edit it to suite your needs?

Usually when this happens to me, it’s because I created a binding that is a duplicate of one of the default bspc actions.

From man sxhkd

If you have a non-QWERTY keyboard or a non-standard layout configuration, you should provide a COUNT of 1 to the -m option or -1 (interpreted as infinity) if you constantly switch from one layout to the other (sxhkd ignores all mapping notify events by default because the majority of those events are pointless).

1 Like

First @PackRat I don’t have any duplicate in my rc file, anyway it’s something to consider in WMs thx.
@natemaia I have tried the -m option but no result until I put the .Xmodmap in my $HOME dir, witch I didn’t have, so now “a” is “a” etc… but I have to press shift to get the numbers in order to reach or to send windows on other workspaces, no big deal. I’m thinking to buy a US Keyboard because things are so much simple this way.
Thanks anyway, I have my soluton. :relaxed: