Suggestions for live/installer

Hi Master-team!

I hope this is the right place to post this!?

I ran into problems with grub and thought the easiest way was to reboot from install-image and chroot.
To be sure I was using chroot right I read arch-wiki about chroot. In chroot I got stuck though! Could not update grub config or reinstall grub to mbr (I have a the old type of machine!) The reason was “could not find device for / . Is /dev mounted”. Searched for this problem on arch-wiki but couldn’t find anything that helped me.
Then I thought that maybe I could update grub through the installer? I tried to do that by choosing to install as little as possible. Did not work well . The system started but hang and had to “hard-shutdown”!
The only solution I could come up with after this was to reinstall. (A bit dissappointing because I had made a lot of personal configurations!)

(I apologize for this boring rant!)

Suggestions:
Live-image could have tools for fixing troubles with boot and a helper for chrooting into the installed system.

womp

I know reinstalling s piss someone some times, been there often on my side ! lol

Wonder if it has to do with the newer way to install on AL or Linux as such here.

While at it, this has saved my but several times in the past, wonder if it can help on newer installs & hardware.Hope it can do it on your install, never know what can happen.

https://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/rescatuxdownloads/rescatux-stable/

Interesting! Downloading nog!

Thanks!

womp

No problem mate, hope it can do the job, let us know if it works.

Will do!

womp

@womp , cool !

I’ve never used rescatux but I’ve heard some horror stories, use with caution.

@Glenn , never had any bad stories with it, might be because I was lucky ! Used alot back then while on Linux in the early years.

Did you (bind) mount the API filesystems before using chroot? The error message suggests that you did not.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Change_root#Using_chroot

The arch-chroot command will mount everything up automagically (once directed to the root filesystem) so that might be better.

It should be possible to re-install and re-configure GRUB from outside the chroot by using:

mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
grub-install --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdX
grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Replace /dev/sdXY with the partition containing the root filesystem but do not add a partition number to the grub-install command.

You can also back up your MBR with:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bak bs=512 count=1

And restore the mbr.bak file with:

dd if=mbr.bak of=/dev/sda

This won’t work for disks using a GUID partition table or UEFI booting though!

My lack of knowledge made my mess! I could not find arch-chroot in archlabs and therefore I thought that chroot was the same command (but in archlabs)! I will save your reply, I will probably need it sooner or later!

I still think itś a good idea and good use of the live-system to have utils for boot problems (and maybe other problems)

womp

Ah, I see, this command would have told you the package name:

pacman -Fys arch-chroot

and this would have installed it in the live system:

pacman -Sy arch-install-scripts

Please note though that the above command is not safe to use in an installed system: the -u flag should always be used together with -Sy to avoid a partial upgrade.

I thank you for tolerance and understanding!
This has been valuable for me!

womp