SteamOS Arch based?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1982985#p1982985

Just came across this on a Arch Thread, kind of has my interest.
Any thoughts or input on the subject?

Seems to be Debian based.

SteamOS

"
So, what is SteamOS?

SteamOS is a public release of our Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 8, code named Debian Jessie. Our work builds on top of the solid Debian core and optimizes it for a living room experience. Most of all, it is an open Linux platform that leaves you in full control. You can take charge of your system and install new software or content as you want."

https://store.steampowered.com/steamos

I know it has been, is something happening over there?

Sorry just noticed my link is dead if you are not signed in.

Not sure, at least their website says it’s still based on Debian

It does say that.

Checked their repo, it’s indeed Debian.

Just came across this, read about half way down.

No clue, maybe the future release will be based on Arch. The last update on their repo was back to 2019. It’s all Debian there.

This seems to make a lot more sense to me, debian is largely outdated which isn’t a problem for most uses but gaming generally requires some of the bleeding edge updates/additions to really work (especially with proton). Given most steamos users won’t be doing modifications to the system which is where most Arch breakage comes from I’ll be curious to see where it goes.

I see a Arch wiki on steam now and a AUR file. All new to me, so just asking as I always thought of it as Debian.

1 Like

Is it Arch?

I think it’s Debian

I think it might be Arch

It’s Debian on the website

I think it might be Arch

I think it’s still Debian

Well then who’s on first?

Debian

I mean SteamOS

Yes

Is it based on Arch?"

Who?

THE FIRST BASEMAN!

Debian

1 Like

They have now started a new thread on the Arch Forums titled SteamOS 3 will be based on ArchLinux

1 Like

lol, good one there @drummer

Thx for sharing @sammiev , wasn t aware of that.

Why do people care about this change so much? More gamers wanna say “BTW” meme?

There are a few Arch based distros for gaming already. Manjaro mGAMe, GamerOS and SalientOS, etc.

1 Like

Bet that s good advertising for Steam itself. People are talking(writing) about it.

Can’t you install Steam on AL or any Arch distro?

PopOS and Solus are more geared for gaming, I think because it’s easier to setup Nvidia. I don’t game, but if I were to use Steam, I would just slice a partition and use a distro like Pop for it since I wouldn’t use it for anything else.

LOL, this devolved quickly.

3 Likes

Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, does it really matter? I assume the priority is the GPU drivers and support, and after that once you install Steam, you have access to all your game library. Which should be available among all three platforms in Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Hell Steam just released a new portable:

The device will run on a “new version” of SteamOS, itself a Linux distro, with Valve’s Proton compatibility layer used to ensure that Windows games function properly.

It has HDMI out, which I assume can scale at least FHD, so it can be used as a sort of console. The sort of rub of SteamOS being based in Debian is that you don’t get the latest update for the GPU drivers, but in Windows Nvidia’s latest drivers almost always borked when released, gaming and video forums used to bitch about them all the time. I used to go here when I had issues in Windows with Nvidia updating the latest drivers, as well as download shit for overclocking the GPU: