SSD optimization and tmps partition?

Trimming, daily, weekly?
What else?
I’ve seen some people using noatime,nodiratime in fstab, no idea if thats usefull or not. This is what I have in fstab for my drive:

`# /dev/nvme0n1p2
UUID=ee4332e7-b25e-4dab-902c-d76819195e78 / ext4 rw,relatime 0 1

Also, does using a mounted /tmp partition makes a difference? I have a 1TB drive and 16Gb RAM. If yes, then what max size should I allocate for it, 8Gb?

Your setup looks standard for most of the computers that I have worked on.
Trim is setup weekly for all my units and all units have 10,000’s of hours on them.
SSD seem to last longer than HHD now at reasonable prices.

1 Like

The fstrim package supplies a weekly timer for that. The drive would probably be fine without it though, garbage collection is pretty good these days.

Not really. The performance improvement offered by noatime is miniscule and the drives are now sufficiently robust to not need any restrictions on write behaviour. Be sure to put any swap on the SSD as well, it will maximise the advantages of the drive.

You should have /tmp mounted under tmpfs by default — systemd assigns half the available RAM.

empty@archie:~ $ df -h /tmp                                                              
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           7.7G  132K  7.7G   1% /tmp
empty@archie:~ $
2 Likes
  1. ATM I’m not using any swap at all without any problems, if I’ll have to do any video editing I’ll setup a swappfile otherwise I don’t see the point if it works without one, 16Gb ram seems to be more than enough for my needs.
  2. yup, /tmp it’s there by default
~ ❯❯❯ df -h /tmp
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           7.8G   83M  7.7G   2% /tmp
  1. Thank You! You always reply with detailed proper info.
1 Like