SSD I/O errors

Hi!
I have en Asus Laptop (2,5 yers old) and yesterday I left the computer for about 30 min while updating. When I came back it had crashed! Never seen anything like it before! The only thing I could anderstand on screen was I/O errors. I first thought that root partition was full and I read about it came to the conclusion that reinstall was the best option. Well I wasn’t able to reinstall because of I/O errors during partition! fsck is unable to set superblock flags.

Does this mean that it is busted/dead?

Thankful for hint!

womp

1 Like

Wonder if your harddisk is sitll good, the one on my HP laptop failed after a year or so.

But it might also be something else.

I have now used win10 to check the disk. It won’t even initialize! Win10 says inreparable damage on the disk. I do not believe much of windows but here it says the same as linux did so it is probably dead!

womp

Well that sux if the hdd s kaput,hope it s ok.

Please post output from this in terminal;

sudo nano /etc/fstab

Well I can’t get any output at all. Can’t mount root partition. It’s a Kingston 480G SSD. Just read that that is one of the worst SSDs out there.

womp

1 Like

Gee that sux mate, have another look to make shure the ssd s dead before installing/buying another one.

Wonder if the bios sees the ssd still.

Yes it does actually!
Kingston SSD-manager can’t find the drive though! Strange huh?

womp

1 Like

Yep , do you have a spare hdd that you can test on your laptop !

1 Like

I have. I will try it out! Report back later!!

womp

1 Like

Ok, will check it out.

1 Like

If you can get into a system with it connected then check with lsblk, if it doesn’t show up it’s dead. If the system takes a long time to boot it’s also a sign. You can run S.M.A.R.T tests as well but they seem unreliable once it has issues.

2 Likes

Hi again friends!
I remember now that all started with root partition showing out of space. SMART could not perform and fsck showed a whole lot of I/O errors. Itried with a couple of live-distros and got the same results. I even tried with win10 but the disk would not even initialize.
Tried with older hdd and that worked with no problems. So now I am sitting and thinking if I should wait and buy a new ssd or start a new system with old hdd.
I will probably make up my mind.
Problem is as solved as it can be! Thanks for interest and support guys!!

womp

1 Like

Glad that you will get it to work @womp

1 Like