Special characters

I cant recall ever having this issue before, so I am unsure of the issue other than not having the correct packages installed…

Here is the problem: I jusy confiigured dmenu2 with some special character arrows, but when I run it all I get are open squares. I had thought that it may have been ttf-dejavu but its already installed.

Any thoughts or help would be cool.

BTW - I have been using characters from

https://www.copypastecharacter.com/all-characters

maybe related to this? Is there a better source? I am quite a noob with using app based icons and special characters so any pointers would also be appreciated.

Phil dmenu2

As a fellow noob, I don’t think I would be much help. I played with key bindings to switch my cap locks key to help me add the accent to “é.” Of course, now it doesn’t function as a caps lock. Luckily, I don’t do too much shouting on the internet. :grin:

This is a good community and I’m sure someone will be able to help. I’m selfishly commenting to follow this as I am also interested in easy ways to use special characters.

As a SOP for me, I always install fonts that have Unicode in the name. This may be the only thing you need to do. In the end, it won’t hurt to add them if you opt to - of course, YMMV

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris, this is a good start. Hopefully it works. Its strange though, these characters displayed perfectly fine with my last install.

I too have had some oddness. For me it was installing the fonts mentioned I have also found that it depends on the terminal being used too.

Good luck mate!