[Solved] Updatedb and man-db services

From the show your boot time thread, these two services keep showing up:

37.292s man-db.service
28.531s updatedb.service

not only take up a lot of time, but the man-db service really cranks the CPU on my system - 90%+ - and it takes a while. I checked and it looks like they update the man pages and aplication databases. I disabled the services, but the man pages still update periodically - man-db.service being called by another service?

Is there a way to completely disable that, or is it an Arch Linux internal to periodically update the man page database?

this may be useful

3 Likes

Good link, thank you.

I noticed that a Systemd update resets these added timer.conf files. Looks like you may have to update after each systemd update

pacman hooks should do the job

Hooks are something I am not well versed in. Could you possibly create a step by step on how to do this?

I’ll try:

• A hook has two parts - a trigger and a action.
  • The trigger decide when the hook is applied and action specifies what the hook should do
  • Under Trigger, we want the action to happen when pacman performs an Upgrade(the Operation) on a package(the Type) named systemd(the Target)
  • Under Action we have a small Description followed by when to execute the hook before or after the transaction made by pacman and last but not the least the Exec which specifies what to do.

So all things considered, something like the following should work:

[Trigger]
Operation = Upgrade
Type = Package
Target = systemd 

[Action]
Description = Prevent mandb and updatedb to run at boot
When = PostTransaction
Exec = cp /home/pangolin/tmp/man-db.timer.conf /etc/systemd/system/man-db.timer.d/

Even more info

2 Likes

Most excellent, thank you. One last question from this simpleton known as Dobbie.

Where do I place this?

name it as something.hook and place at /etc/pacman.d/hooks

1 Like

You’re the man, thank you.