[solved] System boot stops at "Started Accounts Services." after installing nvidia, nvidia-libgl drivers

I was reinstalling archlabs today, after freshly reinstalling - everything works as default.

This time (for testing) I installed the zen kernel instead of vanilla kernel, if this could be the culprit of my problems. I use openbox & lightdm, and AMD Ryzen 3 1200 cpu & nvidia gtx1070 card.

When I install sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-libgl and reboot, then I can’t get into lightdm login screen anymore. What is up with that? This is how I am stuck:

[ OK ] Started Authorization Manager.
[ OK ] Started Accounts Service.

What to do? Please help :slight_smile:

Edit: for now I am reinstalling again (for 5th time today) and trying if vanilla kernel solves the problem, I am completely clueless however.

Ok… strange, but I think it was totally problem with the kernel choice! Why though? I would of loved to see the difference between vanilla or zen.

I reverted back to using vanilla kernel, so my personal problem is solved and I can finally use the computer with all the nvidia drivers installed!

What driver are you using?

If you say nvidia then there’s the culprit, with nvidia drivers you’ll need to use dkms and it should work. The issue is that the nvidia drivers are built for the vanilla kernel.

Side note, I installed the zen kernel in hopes of getting better performance in some games, it made things worse, not immensely but I had audio delay and stuttering in borderlands 3 under proton. YYMV as I’m not running nvidia but, overall it just solidified my previous belief/claim that the vanilla kernel is quite good.

1 Like

This is precisely what I did on a fresh system:

sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-libgl
reboot
sudo pacman -S lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-nvidia-libgl lib32-mesa-demos libva-vdpau-driver

The dkms… oops? it’s this right nvidia-dkms and should I only install it for zen-kernel? For some reason I installed it the last time, maybe for VMware or VirtualBox iirc!

pacman -S linux-zen linux-zen-headers
pacman -S nvidia-dkms

That should build the dkms module for installed kernels with headers I believe.

2 Likes

It will work fine with all the kernels with headers but it needs to build the modules each time, that’s why they offer the prebuilt ones for vanilla kernel with vanilla drivers for a time saver as that’s what most people will use.

That’s what I had to do for zen kernels.

I also need nvidia-dkms for vanilla kernels because the nvidia card is legacy branch.

2 Likes