[Solved] Not enough space when installing

Was thinking about why your USB shows as /dev/sda and I think it is because you are booting off that USB, so the kernel “finds” that media first, assigns the first letter (a) to it, making it /dev/sda. That assignment is made by the kernel.

So I think that is fine. No worries on that. It won’t assign it the same name if you booted off the hard drive (in which case, it would assign that drive /dev/sda). That’s what was confusing us.

Cheers.

@vinay @wontruefree

@vinay @wontruefree

yeah, that’s the reason I am worried
suppose during installation it is /dev/sdb but after installation you boot from that device, it is assigned as /dev/sda … but in your fstab it is as /dev/sdb , … ???

it causes problem … i have faced it

careful

Good point Vishnu. @wontruefree maybe you can have fstab use uuid rather than the /dev/sd* numbering if this type of issue crops up. It does not always crop up (I have not encountered it, but Vishnu has), so you might get lucky :slight_smile:

So I tried auto and a lot of the advice here but. There where some gotchas but once I upgraded with pacman -Syy archlabs-installer I was able to run the installer and get arch labs installed. I want to go back and get encryption and other stuff to work. This was a confusing install but I got it working.

1 Like

Thanks you have been very helpful. I dont know if I have a smaller USB around the house. Why is it easier to use a smaller USB?

I don’t think it is easier, it is just cheaper. 128G USB is too much investment (of money and storage space) for carrying a couple of gigs of ISO. That’s all. If for some reason you have only very large USB drives, that’s perfectly fine to use those. OTOH 4G USBs are extremely cheap these days (you can buy a set of 5 for a few bucks).

That makes sense thanks for the info.

USB pen drives are attached to USB ports of the motherboard ,
and most often their file systems are Fat ( not NTFS or ext) by default
it helps the running OS to recognise and treat those differently from storage devices (HDD or SSD) attached to motherboard SATA port

it helps

apart from this reason,

you would probably always want to keep a bootable installation media which may come in handy during the time of system repair, such as kernel panic

so keeping a small bootable installation media handy helps in many ways
:sunglasses:
Good Day

I’ve allowed install to USB devices by request from some other users in the past, it also just keeps things consistent.

It however shouldn’t show you the live boot media that you’re currently running from so that sounds like a genuine error in the installer. This isn’t what I’d consider a major issue though as you should know which is which.

Anyhow glad you got it, cheers.

1 Like