[Solved] Not enough space when installing

When installing the install fails running out of space during pacman install. I have a 1TB nvme and should have enough space. Is there a way to increase the harddrive space for installing archlabs?

error: Partition / too full: 94287 blocks needed, 63572 blocks free
error: failed to commit transaction (not enough disk space)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

It is hard to copy from the install but /dev/sda1 and /dev/loop0 is at 100%

EDIT:

Upgrading the installer fixed my issue. This is done by running pacman -Syy archlabs-installer and run installer after upgrading.

What is the size of /dev/sda1? I presume that is the partition on which you wish to install AL?

If these are 1KB blocks (or 512B even) it seems to say you have only at most 63MB available? Something seems remiss. Pl. post size of /dev/sda1.

/dev/sda1 is 657M which is weird but I dont know why it is sized like that.

That’s your problem right there. Somehow, you have made the partition /dev/sda1 too small. Not sure how you did the partition.
You should be able to resize it using some standard tool (gparted etc.). Since your drive is 1TB, pl. give it a few tens of G for a very safe size for AL. I have mine on 60G. You can make do with much lesser, but depending on what data you would like to have on there a few tens of Gigs would be safe.
Let me know how else I can be of help. If you need help w/ gparted, i can help you. I don’t know what data you have on your hard drive. The main concern is that resizing partitions CAN DESTROY DATA. So please be SUPER careful when doing that. Back up all data. Only then, use gparted (perhaps just boot into the system w/ a bootable linux USB and then open gparted and resize the partition).
I am going to sleep now, but can help you again around 5AM Pacific time. My advise is to think thrice before any resizing or repartitioning. Many times we forget there is important data there and lose it.

Thanks for the info I am going to go to bed now too. I think it is the auto option on the partition menu but I dont know.

Also, if you are comfortable with it, you can post the output of df here. That way we can see what exactly is going on w/ your disk space.

1 Like

the hard part with output is the install is on another computer.

You need to clean the package cache

Cleaning the package cache

I use this command

pacman -Scc

be careful , make sure you don’t need anything from cache

1 Like

I tried cleaning the cache but it still did not have enough space. I am confused though. is /dev/sda1 my harddrive or USB drive? I formatted my harddrive with 1 partition to remove any limitations and it I still got the partition too full error message. Also my USB drive is 128GB.

Could you please post the result of two commands here ?

lsblk and df -h

so that we could understand your problem clearly and help accordingly

So, if you just issue the command mount, without any arguments, it shows all the devices that are mounted, and should show you your USB stick (in most cases). All the commands Vishnu suggested will also give all the info we need. Usually (but not always) sda is your hard drive, not a USB. However, let’s be absolutely sure just to protect your data.

Also pl. post sudo fdisk -l output. With all those outputs we can help you better.

Here is a picture of some of the outputs.

OK, your /dev/sda is your USB (around 115GB available). It is not your 1TB hard drive. Just to be double sure, could you pl. verify that your USB drive is a “microDuo” make/model?

If above is true, then /dev/sda1 is a partition on your USB drive, not on your 1TB hard drive.

Pl. verify make/model of the USB drive so we can then ensure our analysis is correct. Thanks.

Normally I would just conclude, but since data is involved, just want to make VERY sure. Want to make sure you don’t lose any valuable data. I have made such mistakes in past and regretted it to this day.

And your dev/nvme0n1 is your 1TB Samsung SSD. I think once you verify the makes of these 2 we can conclude this and move to next step.

All data has been backed up and the drives that hold the backups have been removed from the machine just to be safe. Probably overkill but I could see myself selecting an auto setting or something and wiping them out.

The “microDuo” is ~100G USB that has the archlabs installer on it. I made this from the archlinux forums install guide just to be sure.

I have an nvme samsung ~1T drive that I want to install archlabs too.

Great: so we know now what is what:
your microDuo USB: /dev/sda
your 1TB Samsung SSD: /dev/nvme0n1

I assume you want to install AL on the 1TB SSD. So you need to first create a partition on it that will hold AL. You can use any standard tool like gparted. You can, for example, boot in to the machine using a bootable USB (ie, not boot in using the hard drive); then open gparted and view the 1TB SSD in gparted. It will allow you to create and/or resize partitions on the 1TB SSD. Once you decide what size partition you need ( I suggest minimum few tens of gigs) you can create that partition, note down its name, and then you can move to next step.

Next step is to again boot in using the AL USB and select the partition you have created in previous step to install. Install goes through very smoothly on AL.

If you have any issues, we are all here to help. AL is a great community of folks you’ll find.

Cheers, and keep us posted on anything you need.

PS: I suggest to use a small USB drive (like 4GB or even 2GB) that holds a simple to use linux distro for such uses. For example, I have an ubuntu/linux mint USB that I use for such purposes. Of course, that is only for the gparted and creating partitions and doing other things to prepare for your AL install.

@wontruefree Do you want to dedicate the whole drive to AL? If so then I suggest just using the auto partition option in the installer, it’ll set up and EFI partition (/dev/nvme0n1p1) and leave the rest as one large partition to install AL to (/dev/nvme0n1p2).

If the auto partition gives you issues let me know.

1 Like

You are good to go …

before running archlabs-installer … please execute this command
pacman -Syy archlabs-installer
careful … only -Syy , no u flag , it is -Syy only not -Syyu , ok ?

once it is done ( if your PC/Laptop is connected to internet there won’t be any issue)

then start usual archlabs-installer
create partitions, mount them or choose auto partition scheme as @natemaia said

one more thing,
as you are running your archlabs-installer from 120GB drive, which is a probably a overkill i would say, and most probably it is connected to your first SATA hardware port in your motherboard, that’s why it is showing as /dev/sda

usually when we use any small USB pen drive as installation media , it shows as /dev/sdd or /dev/sdb something like this,

as you have said you have disconnected one drive , now the point is I don’t know what is installed one the other drive, and after successfully installing the AL on your Nand drive, which currently shows as /dev/sdb, when you connect the disconnected / unplugged drive , your Nand Drive may become, /dev/sdc … then you would face another issue

so here is a work around … if you can do …

use some small device, any 2GB / 4GB / 8GB / 16GB USB pen drive as your bootable installation media

secondly, if you would use AL as your primary OS, and if you could change the order of storage device connected to motherboard , then put that drive on the first slot, you may find something like, hdd0 or hdd1 written on motherboard , this will ensure your OS drive is always /dev/sda

hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face:
good day

pacman -Syy archlabs-installer

1 Like

Should be pacman -Syy archlabs-installer

Afterwards the executable will just be installer

1 Like