[Solved] Keyring problem?

Hi Archlabbers!
I have been struggling for days with openvpn-client-connection.
I have the same config on 2 other systems (Debian) and they work. The client stops immitately and I get the message “openvpn stopped for unknown reason”. First I thought it was a firewall problem but I disabled the firewall and it made no difference! I wonder if anyone recognize this? It could be a keyring problem right?
Very thankful for hints!

womp

Seeing as I will not assume you have or have not done any particular step, have you looked at the Arch Wiki Checklist for OpenVPN?

I dont believe the keyring could have any adverse affects on the ability to set up a vpn
This sounds either like a configuration or connection issue

Hi and thanks for answers!
After a reboot when i try openvpn I have to fill in keyring password. After that I try to connect but it takes less than a second for a message to pop up “connection failed for unknown reason”. Nothing in syslog. Something is stopping the connection before it starts. But what?

womp

Can you ping -c 1 8.8.8.8

If it isn’t allowing you connection as a user this may be an iputils issue I’ve seen before

Try

su                           # To go Super User
pacman -S iputils            # Reinstall iputils

Now reboot and see if it works

If not we’ll see whats up and go from there

Cheers

Hi and thanks for anwer!
I can not ping 18.8.8.8
iputils reinstall did not help. What the hell is stopping vpn from initializing?

womp

the command and ping -c1 8.8.8.8 not 18.8.8.8 :wink:

Sorry for my ignorance! Now ping worked!

I have now gone through arch-wiki and followed instructions.
Here is output:
ERROR: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (errno=1)

womp

With sudo I can get it up and going now! I would like to solve this with Network-Manager though!

womp

Hi again!

I have been thinking about this and I am now trying to make a startup script where openvpn is starting automatically after boot. Any scripters out there?
Matter is at least partially solved!

womp

1 Like

Yea I could whip something up for you fairly easily

If you give me a list of commands and outcomes that need to happen ie. sudocode
I’d be more than willing to write a daemon-ish bash script for you that can just be run at boot

I did something very similar for myself with mounting usb devices

Cheers

1 Like

Would be really great!!
I tried with “sudo openvpn /etc/openvpn/client/client.conf” in autostart but that was too easy! (did not work!) But that is basically what I want. I don’t mind having to type sudo-passwd (would just be a remainder that the script is running!) I did the unsafe by putting the username and passwd in a separate text-file. I work alot so I haven’t had much time to look at it myself so I am very happy for help!

womp