[SOLVED] Issues with keyboard language (pt)

Hi there,

So i’ve been running Archlabs for a while now, and thus far all of the problemas have found a fix, until i met this one.

Long story short, my keyboard is now in english layout instead of portuguese, but i still want the system language to be in en_us.

The only thing i’ve changed in regard to language in my system was adding english to the autocorrect feature in Chromium. Anyways, here’s some output of some commands that i ran on my system:

┌ ~
└> $ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev…
Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev…
Success.
Applied rules from evdev:
rules: evdev
model: pc105
layout: pt
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes: evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types: complete
compat: complete
symbols: pc+pt+inet(evdev)
geometry: pc(pc105)
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include “evdev+aliases(qwerty)” };
xkb_types { include “complete” };
xkb_compat { include “complete” };
xkb_symbols { include “pc+pt+inet(evdev)” };
xkb_geometry { include “pc(pc105)” };
};

┌ /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
└> $ cat 00-keyboard.conf

Use localectl(1) to instruct systemd-localed to update it.

Section “InputClass”
Identifier “system-keyboard”
MatchIsKeyboard “on”
Option “XkbLayout” “pt”
EndSection

┌ /etc
└> $ cat vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=pt
FONT=ter-i16n

As you can clearly see, all of the options that are assigned to keyboard layout clearly specify pt as the current layout language, which is what i want, so i’m unable to trace the source of this issue, and i’m unsure how does adding a language to Chromium for the autocorrect changes the default system keyboard layout language.

Thanks in advance.

Problems with rofi

I think your /etc/vconsole should look like below.

KEYMAP=pt_PT.UTF-8

Actually after re-reading your post im not so sure. You want to be able to read the system/os in en_us but have the keyboard in pt Portuguese or should that be reversed ?

I want to have the system in english (en_US) and have my keyboard in portuguese (pt), just like it was when i installed it. Since i didn’t change anything, besides the chromium auto-correct, and all the files seem fine to me, i’m wondering how the hell did this happen.

Have you tried using localectl?

Change the settings in

# for the Linux console
/etc/vconsole.conf

# for Xorg
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

# and possibly
/etc/default/keyboard

All localectl and setxkbdmap do is edit/create these files.

Refs. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg/Keyboard_configuration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Linux_console/Keyboard_configuration

As i said, all of the options that resemble keyboard layout have the value ‘pt’, which is what i want, however, my keyboard is still in english. Here are the files that you told me to edit:

┌ /etc
└> $ cat vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=pt
FONT=ter-i16n

┌ /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
└> $ cat 00-keyboard.conf

Use localectl(1) to instruct systemd-localed to update it.

Section “InputClass”
Identifier “system-keyboard”
MatchIsKeyboard “on”
Option “XkbLayout” “pt”
EndSection

┌ /etc/default
└> $ cat keyboard

KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL=""
XKBLAYOUT=“pt”
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""
BACKSPACE=“guess”

running localectl returns the following:

┌ /etc/default
└> $ localectl
System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
VC Keymap: pt
X11 Layout: pt

I clearly must be missing something here because all of the values, besides language, are ‘pt’ which is exactly what i want.

Hmm yea that is odd. What wm/de are you using?

Perhaps the xfce4-settings-manager has a keyboard section? A lot of the time these desktop settings managers override the system setting listed before. I hate this personally as it’s not even easy to find during diagnosis of issues.

I have i3-gaps, but, i’m not unsure what i did before, i do have some xfce settings on my computer. The one that says Keyboard is currently on ‘use system defaults’, and forcing a change to the portugues layout turned out to have no effect.

I have the exact same problem.
A few days ago I had the system language as en_us and the keyboard as pt and everything worked.

It broke when I did a system update.

I suspect that this update broke the config.

[2019-02-04 21:21] [ALPM] upgraded xkeyboard-config (2.25-1 -> 2.26-1)

How can I revert or be sure that it was this update?

So running

setxkbmap pt

Does the keyboard output the proper keys after?

I had already tried that, got the following:

┌ ~
└> $ setxkbmap pt
Error loading new keyboard description

You probably need to do this as root, it will also modify files (I think), still I thought it would prompt or something, maybe I’m wrong. Just to be sure though, your keys still register as the same, correct?

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61634?project=1&string=xkeyboard-config

Patch included in the bug report.

it appears that i’m not the only one, thanks a lot i’ll look into it, but i can only do it tonight, but based on the comments they managed to fix it using a patch.

The patch worked, many thanks!
Also just for the future bugs that might occur, is it the official Arch bug forum?

Marked this thread as solved, if somebody has the same issue, please check the link https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61634?project=1&string=xkeyboard-config and download the patch created by user joao-O-santos.

The bugs on that site are for the upstream Arch Linux distribution, yes, but they will also apply to ArchLabs (except for the ArchLabs-specific packages, of course).

However, please don’t post stuff there (or on the Arch forums) without first replicating the problem in pure Arch, thanks.

Good call about Arch Forum postings @Head_on_a_Stick . It will/would save loads of hate on the op.