[SOLVED] Installation from USB

Specs: CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 GPU: Some kind of Integrated Intel chip (I’ve tried looking but can’t find specific model) RAM: 2GB DDR3 Wrapped up in an Acer Cloudbook 14

Okay, so I would love to install archlabs on my laptop, as I’m sick and tired of windows 10. So, I used rufus to create a live usb with an archlabs iso (2018.5), and then entered my bios. Disabled secure boot, moved the usb to the top of the boot order, restart, and I’m greeted with a menu,with ‘install archlabs’ at the top. Hit enter, and…

Nothing. Just a blank screen, so I restart my PC back to Windows…

I tried using the UEFI BIOS to boot, and the same thing happens. I can’t really use a virtual machine, due to HDD restrictions, so yeah…

Also had this problem with literally all other distros I’ve tried, but I really have fallen in love with the aesthetics of archlabs

Any help appreciated!

I had a similar issue with my hp desktop and despite changing the boot order, I found I had to enter the boot menu and then select usb… Either in uefi or legacy. It’s f9 here. I know that sounds trivial but for whatever reason, seemed to work.

You may also try downloading the iso again and use Etcher in lieu of rufus.

I’m being an idiot here, but could you specify what you mean by boot menu?

It’s similar to entering uefi, bios or setup directly after starting your hardware. On this machine, it’s F9 and lists all your boot options. Your machine may use a different key and you may need to google for the proper one. I have no idea why this worked for me but it did. Additionally, rufus has never worked well for me.

Hello @Syrup_27 apologies for the issue

@anon37345411 is right here, you may have a ‘boot menu’. On all my acer laptops it’s F12 and disabled by default in the bios, but all this does is save you needing to change the boot order manually

F12 Boot Menu:               [Disabled]

This really doesn’t look like it should matter, if you are getting into the boot section where you pick from a menu then the USB should be written properly and we’re well past the bios and post sections.

Can you try:

Make sure you have the recent point release (2018.05.1), a few issues were fixed, I don’t think this is the issue but better to be sure. Then when using rufus it should give you a choice right before writing the image. Use dd mode or usb mode, choose the dd mode one and tell me if that works.

You also shouldn’t have to disable secure boot or enable legacy boot, just about all distros ‘support’ this nowadays, you might just have a bit of fiddling in the bios later to get the boot first.

1 Like

Thanks, I followed @anon37345411 advice, and all is well, but i’m having some trouble booting.

1 Like

On two occasions and on machines by both Lenovo & HP… This wasn’t the case and for whatever reason, the bios didn’t honor the boot sequence I had set and I still needed to enter the boot menu. On this hp desktop, this stopped after I ditched win10 but to this day, I still need to enter boot menu on my Lenovo laptop to boot from usb.

Edit: This continued even after the installation of AL on this hp, I still needed to enter boot menu and select from there to boot AL. Since I had zero need for windows, I ditched win10, wiped the drive and re-partitioned… After which, all is well. Wondering if this isn’t solely an issue with win not playing nice?

Sorry for the late reply, thank you so much!

1 Like

Awesome, I’m glad to have helped :slight_smile:

I’m not entirely sure, I think it may be down to how arch-chroot is being used during the install, I’ve tried a number of things but what it comes down to is a number of virtual filesystems need to be mounted in the chroot /proc /sys /dev /run/udev issue being many of these are mounted already and cause issues when trying to access them from the chroot with a rebind mount… My knowledge isn’t the greatest but I’ve been looking for a solution that will let me write to the main efi stub and pick up other os.

This doesn’t matter for this issue at hand though, also on some systems they just have a very locked down bios and don’t allow or really want anyone to change things, makes it much harder.

1 Like

I recall you mentioning you weren’t much of a fan of hp, this is probably a contributing reason why… Thank you Nate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like