[SOLVED] Cannot reach network on fresh install

FINAL EDIT «SOLVED: Hey, whaddayaknow, it now just works. OK. Well, this thread will then serve as my introduction - Hello all! Will mark as solved. Dunno what did it, was probably just my router being weird I guess. I am loving archlabs! Yay!

OLD POST:

Hello!

I just installed archlabs from a usb-key, but upon reboot I can no longer go online. I’ve looked around alot and tried lots but cannot seem to get anywhere. My ethernet interface is recognized, but for example running sudo dhcpcd says (prefixed with enp2s0f1, I am abbreviating since I am writing from another computer).

Soliciting a IPv6 Router
soliciting a dhcp lease
no IPv6 Routers available
timed out
forked to background

ifconfig gives

flags=4163<UP,BORADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 fe80 … prefixlen 64…
all packets 0 0 0 0000

So I tried
“systemctl enable dhcpcd@enp2s0f1.service”

and some other things from Arch forums and wikis, and I’ve not gotten very far.

So I thought, “OK I’ve messed around a bit now, perhaps I broke something, lets just reinstall and see”. But, SPOOKY, now I cannot reach network from the USB key either! Why? I had internet access in the live environment while installing.

Nothing could have changed with my USB key right? The very same cable has been attached the entire time. My modem/router/switch (box that is required for the broadband to work, and lets multiple computers share internet, but I guess more of a switch than a router, though I am no expert) perhaps has something to do with this, but i was surfing on another computer (writing this) attached to the same box at the same time as my Archlabs one did not let me.

Another spooky thing was that there were no lights flashing around the network cable entry into the ethernet card, does’nt it normally flash green/yellow, even when it does not work 100%? Just totally black. But maybe I am remembering wrong and it never flashes o__O

Any suggestions are welcome! Today I will try and reinstall over work wifi, and then tonight try again. The annoying part is that I always have network problems when I try new distros on this laptop, and then I always think “AHA! So that’s it, i HAVE to remember/write this down somehow until the next time” when I find the solution, BUUUUT, I never do. I’m an archivist and sadly 100% humanities, but I try to be cool and use linux!

Edit: cleaned post up, it was late yesterday when I wrote the post.
Edit2: I’ve now tinkered around using my workplace’s wifi, and it works fine there, I’ve updated/installed lots of stuff, moved around the panel to my liking etc. etc. Perhaps it will just magically work when I get home.Perhaps not! There is something I always have to do with my eth to get it to work when I install a new distro… Hours of entertainment: installing a new distro :smiley:

try like this
Disconnect an interface:

nmcli dev disconnect ifname enp2s0f1

Reconnect an interface marked as disconnected:

nmcli con up uuid

Get a list of UUIDs:

if the above test does not work this way

ip link set up/down

Hey, whaddayaknow, it now just works. OK. Well, this thread will then serve as my introduction - Hello all! Will mark as solved. Dunno what did it, was probably just my router being weird I guess. I am loving archlabs! Yay!

1 Like