ArchLabs Linux

[SOLVED] Amd gpu

I’m finally replacing my old Nvidia GTX-650 GPU and going all-AMD. Upgraded recently from Intel i7 Haswell to Ryzen 7 2700X and just ordered Radeon RX 570 Rog Strix Gaming OC 4GB GPU. It comes in a few days i hope. Not a hardcore gamer card i guess, but quite a bit better than my old anyway…

So, just checking beforehand… Is it basically plug&play with AMD cards these days, no need to install any drivers myself? Any other software or tweaking needed?

1 Like

Just put ryzen 2600 ASrock B450m Pro 4 16gb ddr4(xpm 3000 cl16) with rx 580 pulse 4gb no driver just put vulkan driver four lutris and play :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yea it really is nice, there is very little config needed and you only need to install vulkan-radeon if you intend to use it. Everything else just works beautifully out of the box with the stock drivers.

I add this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf to enable driver vsync and variable refresh (freesync)

Section "Device"
     Identifier "AMD"
     Driver "amdgpu"
     Option "TearFree" "true"
     Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
 EndSection
1 Like

Thanks!

All right, RX 570 is installed and everything seems to be ok. And no screen tearing OOB, that’s refreshing. Way to go, AMD! :slight_smile:

Glad it workked out ! Will be helpful to other members as well.

Well, i’ve had a few kernel panics now, but the machine booted up after hard reset, so… We’ll see how it goes from here.

I did change the RAM speed in the BIOS too (updated it yesterday, forgot to set the speed until now), could it be that what causes kernel panics?

To be continued…

Will check it out, Hope it goes well !

Post your RAM specs and what you set in the BIOS, kernel panic can be caused by memory errors.

A picture of your BIOS would help if possible.

After BIOS update i set the memory frequency, didn’t touch anything else. It looks like this:

I did have one or two kernel panics yesterday (not anymore) and some other glitches, odd color mess on the screen when the machine is booting up, but that’s random, doesn’t appear every time. Also the machine freezes totally after a while when just surfing the web. I guess that might a bug in Brave too. It’s buggy sometimes.

EDIT: At one point my BIOS looked like this:

Anyway, I lowered the memory frequency a bit, we’ll see what happens. Just now it seems to work ok. For some reason though, every Chromium based browsers crashes more or less… Firefox crashed once or twice too, but has worked well since then. Quite strange all in all.

Ah, it wasn’t the new hardware, but the newest kernel that caused all the problems. Of course… Downgraded to LTS and all glitches and crashes went away.

The new hardware confused me a bit, so i didn’t see the obvious.

All is well and AMD is cool. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Top job @eesau , glad it s fixed.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the case, while the lts may try harder to avoid it, there’s definitely something wrong with the memory.

For 2933mhz you’ll need to adjust the timings and voltage for both the memory and the memory controller. There’s an option that does all this for you with one click, in the BIOS a few settings above the memory speed there is the “AI Overclock Tuner” set that to use “D.O.C.P” this will set the memory speed, timings, and voltage to match the SPD given by the memory, as well as adjust the CPU’s memory controller voltage.

To verify this you can check the BIOS’ in the “Tools” tab under the memory SPD section, it will show a few tables - JDEC XMP XMP2 etc… Pick the one that matches the advertised speed.

1 Like

Gee, these newer hardwares are tough on Linux sadly.

This isn’t linux related, if you use windows the same things apply, just instead of kernel panics you’d be getting bsods.

Oh, its parameter s related @ setup time, thx for clarifications @natemaia

You were absolutely right again, thanks!

I thought i’ve tried that awhile ago and it didn’t work, but now it did right away and the RAM speed is now set to 3200Mhz. BIOS hardware monitor showed that number and i checked again in Arch command line and it gave the same numbers, so i guess i now have max CPU power available i can get with this hardware. Very cool. Better late than never.

Me + hardware = problems. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like