(SOLVED) A Few Questions

I’m newish here, but I’ve been here for awhile. Just had irl problems.

Now that I am back and well, I have a few questions. Might be dumb ones, but, meh, we all were at one time, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

1. In my computer, I have a XFX Radeon RX 580. Does Arch have support for this? I know Mint 19.1 did have it in their latest kernel. Also does HDMI as well as DP work fine? As in, detect both monitors?

2. Is there a way to install .deb files to Arch? I remember reading about this months ago, but can’t remember where. Because I use Discord quite a lot, and I do own a .deb file. I remember there was a way to do it through AUR, but a lot of people had a problem with that.

3. I have been reading a lot lately about Yay, an Arch Linux AUR helper. Do either of you support or say it’s trash? Or perhaps a different pacman or AUR helper?

If any of you can help, that would be great :slight_smile:

For #3, the latest version ArchLabs ships with baph to install from the AUR.

Hello @Mind

1. Yes, drivers for amd have been open sourced and are (to my knowledge) good, there are also the usual proprietary drivers. You can see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU there is also the outdated catalyst drivers but those aren’t for the newer R*/vega/gcn cards.

2. There is dpkg and dpkg-git on the aur, I personally wouldn’t touch this and instead would try to find the actual package you want either in the aur or by manual install. Feel free to try it out though.

3. Yay is good, most people use it now as the others have fallen out of popularity and are lacking support. As PackRat said above, we include a simple script for installing and updating aur packages, it’s far from ideal but it should get the job done.

Any other questions feel free to ask,

cheers.

I tend to keep with the open-source drivers.

I’ll need to find that article again that showed me how to use it. I don’t think it was dpkg, but who knows. I’ll ask you after I find it.

As for Yay or Baph, as long as they work, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, another question, about Java. I run Minecraft, as well as some other Java software. But on Mint 19.1, it won’t run some of my mods. You have any knowledge of this? Like, it keeps crashing on me if I use Rift and/or Optifine. I think it is a Java error. But I can not be sure.

No I’m not sure about that sorry, java 7 or 8?

As @natemaia said above, dpkg is the program that is used for .deb packages. The other ones, for some reason, doesn’t work in arch based distros. I had to use it for my printer drivers, which were .deb packages. when I get the chance later, I’ll make a package so that it could install without extra apps added.

I think those mods need at least Java 8.

Interesting… I’ll be waiting. :smiley:

Java handling in Archlinux is quite good, I had no issue switching from several SDK and it worked just fine.

I use yay myself, and it’s quite useful, so far I am no longer using pacman (or only for querying informations about my installed packages and stuff like that). But some people on the forum only use baph and it works flawlessly for them, just a matter of tastes :slight_smile:

Finally, I’ve yet never encountered a package that wasn’t in the AUR, so discord (which is quite known and used) should be in as well.

Create a PKGBUILD that downloads the .deb, unpacks it and then installs the contents.

Instructions here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages

Thanks all. I found out my Java issue in Mint 19.1. It was something with OpenJDK that was “fooking it up”. So I install Oracle Java 8. That fixed everything… :man_shrugging:

Have to keep that in mind when installing it with pacman/AUR.

As far as I remember they are in the AUR. You might want to give a look here : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java

Well, everything is in the AUR… :laughing:

@Mind, please don’t open a thread that you have multiple questions. One thread per question please.

That totally defeats the purpose… If I have 100 questions, I have to ask them in 100 different threads? That just sounds wrong.

Have to say that I agree with @Mind on this one, these were short non-technical questions, asked by a single user, asking them all in one place as a short burst seems like the best option to me.

If the topic was more technical or multiple people asking multiple questions in a single thread (which is the reason for this attitude) then it would be a different story.

Sorry @natemaia, I don’t agree. If someone is searching for a particular issue that is bundled up with a whole pile of other questions they are going to leave frustrated, I’d rather it took a few extra seconds/minutes and the question be asked in it’s own thread. It also makes answering the issue easier, if there is just one question.

@Mind if you aren’t interested in following the community rules then that’s up to you.

Whatever, all my questions were answered. Marked as solved.