Share Your Favourite Recipes

Any cooks here? Share your favourite recipes with us!

Haha, yes. Ex-chef.

Sweet or savory? I love making sausages and pates.

No cook here ! Too dangerous for anyone.lol

Anything and everything.

When I have time I’ll share some of mine.

@nwg hey buddy do you have an authentic bigos recipe you make? I made an American version tonight that was pretty good but I’m curious about the “true” way.

1 Like

Y’all were asking about my smoked trout recipe.

This is all I do:

We use a pellet grill.

3 Likes

LOL, one does not simply make bigos in one night. :smiley: In every family it’s a bit different. Here is the best recipe I found on the internet with my own comments.

Ingredients (4 portions)

Measurement units are in the metric system, sorry. Also, for Christmas, I make much more bigos at once. It can be stored in a cool place for 2 weeks.

• 300 g of smoked bacon
  • 200 g beef (e.g. pork neck, loin, shoulder, entrecote)
  • 300 g of pork neck
  • 200 g of veal or pork shoulder
  • in most recipes there’s also Polish smoked sausage, say 200 g
  • 1 kg of sauerkraut
  • I also add 1/2 kg of finely sliced fresh cabbage
  • 50 g of dried forest mushrooms (preferably porcini mushrooms)
  • 1 liter of water
  • 1 bay leaf, 2 allspice, and 4 peppercorns
  • salt and pepper
  • 125 g of dried prunes
  • 1 sour apple
  • I also add half a glass of red dry wine OR a tablespoon of mustard

Day 1

• Put the bacon, cut into approx. 1.5 cm cubes (first remove the skin and cartilage) into a large pot with a thick bottom. Fry on low heat, covered, for approx. 10 - 15 minutes, until melted and browned, stirring occasionally.

• Add the meat, cut into approx. 2 cm cubes (beef, pork neck and shoulder, sausage). Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper and fry, covered over medium heat for about 20 minutes, until the meat is browned and well fried on each side, while stirring 2-3 times.

• Increase the heat and gradually add the sauerkraut drained from the juice, cooking it uncovered all the time.

• Add broken dried mushrooms, bay leaf, allspice and peppercorns. Then pour boiling water, mix and bring to a boil.

• Reduce heat, cover and cook for approx. 1 hour. In the meantime, stir from time to time. Cool and set aside in a cold place.

Day 2

• Heat the bigos, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour.

• Cool again and set aside in a cold place.

Day 3

• Rinse the plums and cut them into smaller pieces. Peel the apple, cut into quarters, remove the seed pockets, chop finely and add to the boiled stew with the plums. Add wine or mustard.

• Simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes. Can be stored in the refrigerator after preserving for up to 2 weeks.

Should look something like this:

5 Likes

Gee, hungry again !

Why I look at those threads ! lol

1 Like

@nwg that’s awesome. Thank you. I’ll post a pic as soon as I make it.

1 Like

Fingers crossed. :slight_smile: Hope our (Google’s and mine) translation is good enough. My English is particularly poor in the kitchen.

1 Like

Last time I looked into a thread like this one, I gained 10 lbs in the first week. :scream:

4 Likes

Haha! As soon as you become in charge of cooking, it stops being funny. Right now in my kitchen (it’s 3 am):

Diet chicken jelly with vegetables:

3 Likes

@nwg I feel kind of guilty asking you to think about hearty recipes.

1 Like

No worries. My Xmas bigos won’t be a diet version for sure.

By the way: you can add a few dried juniper berries to make bigos in the hunter’s version. I forgot to mention in the recipe.

Nice. We’ve got those on our property. Once I get some success with the recipe I might try elk and deer in it. I read that it originally was wild game.

Very true. You’ll also need some vodka. :wink:

1 Like

Now that’s my kind of recipe. :smiley:

3 Likes

Awesome, thankyou!!!

And,

Measurement units are in the metric system, sorry

Don’t be. The metric system is the system.

1 Like

Or distill those juniper berries into some gin.
Grandpa was a bootlegger. He had a recipe for doing that; took it to his grave, unfortunately.

1 Like