"sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" after installation - BIOS seetings? - SOLVED

Hi

I have been searching google for hours now, expecting there is an obvious solution to this problem but I have not been able to solve it so far.

I am trying to install Archlabs Version 1.6.18 on a Thinkpad x230 but I keep encountering the following error message

“sh: can’t access tty; job control turned off”

I am using a live USB that I created with the dd command, and the target is a SSD that used to run the same OS in a Thinkpad x200s. This will be my only OS.

The installation process seems successful until I reboot and get stuck with the error message.

I have tried educate myself on the BIOS settings since I thought a sollution might might be found there.
The articles I found stated that I should be able to use both Legacy and UEFI, the later needing a vat format in the bootable partition. Both of them give the same result.
It also seems like it should not make a difference whether I choose Grub or Systemd as a bootloader.
The Sata controller is at AHCI, as I understand is necessary with my setup.
Fdisk recognizes the partitions on the SSD.

Would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

-------------------EDIT--------------------
Following the advice of using the latest iso solved my problem!
Scratching my head - how did my computer know there was a new version out before I did!? Clever little machine.
Happy holidays!

First and foremast, please use the 12/17/2018 version.
This may greatly reduce the issues you may be seeing with that older version (almost a year old)

Let’s see how that goes for you so if you have any issues, they will at least be greatly reduced.

Next - if you are unfamiliar with partitioning, choose the method that will auto config your drive.
This should simply prompt you that you will be using UEFI.

Another point to consider, if you are manually partitioning your drive, I would recomend using cfdisk. I like easy to use.easy to understand. And yes, the 500 Meg or so part for UEFI should be formatted vfat

ADDED: Since you mentioned it will be the only OS, technically, you dont need to use UEFI

2 Likes

Okay I’ll try that!

@Signe I’m going to close this one. If you encounter the same issue with the latest ISO, feel free to open a new thread.

@Chris, good advice there.

1 Like

Good call @Chris